Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #11

That'd be great! i've decided that I'm going to go ahead with the breeding. You've given me the confidence to, so thanks.

I'll breed in summer so I can put all my focus into it. I might decide not to breed Waffle since he'll be two by then (well 2+ how many years he was at the pet shop). And I don't think I have the heart to cull. I was thinking about culling some of my platy fry since I have so many, but then I started thinking about how they're so innocent and had only just begun to live and now they're the parasite of my 38 gallon tank. But if there are fry with deformities I'll force myself.

For now, I'll just look around to see where I can get some good fish to breed. I'll let you know when I'm breeding. I might decide to do it earlier.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good for you Fanatic! (My name is Lila btw. "Leelah") breeding animals is a spiritual endeavor, as is pet keeping in general. You learn to give, empathize, and the true meaning of "caring" for another being.

I remember the wonderful wildlife shows that were on TV in my youth. Now I ABHOR the Animal Planet shows that are aptly labeled "surprisingly human".

Marty Stouffer's "Wild America" may still be around on YouTube. The National geographic specials from the late 90's and the Mutual of Omaha series called simply "Nature" were my version of church, I'm not kidding! My summer vacation was to Etosha game reserve because I had become obsessed with the yearly wildebeest migration over salt flats and that whole phenomena. I drew everything I saw! Best trip of my life. Well tied for first, all trips in nature are sublime.

Off topic again(on flu meds) so anyway we are the same type of woman I think. We get what animals give, and they recognize we are their type of people,'wouldn't you say? I bring this up because I had considered breeding my AKC purebred Basset Hound for the past five years.

I finally concluded with my husband that, while he is an amazing pet, healthy handsome example of the breed, very high scent drive and tracking ability, he simply wasn't going to be a beneficial addition to the gene pool because of his behavioral quirks. Chop-chop. (He is a "resource-guarding" male which leads to aggression in the wrong situations, got to purge these qualities to breed responsibly).

I think that passionate people owe it to themselves or their communities to pursue their calling. Not all of us are given special purposes, but to deny the intuition that you were meant to be something... Well that my friend is what "mid-life crisis means", you blew it!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here he is- pic taken a few weeks before his "surgury" and in the 6 months since he has gotten gray fur in the face and gained 10lbs!

Eunich!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-914621021.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	138305  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Good for you Fanatic! (My name is Lila btw. "Leelah") breeding animals is a spiritual endeavor, as is pet keeping in general. You learn to give, empathize, and the true meaning of "caring" for another being.

I remember the wonderful wildlife shows that were on TV in my youth. Now I ABHOR the Animal Planet shows that are aptly labeled "surprisingly human".

Marty Stouffer's "Wild America" may still be around on YouTube. The National geographic specials from the late 90's and the Mutual of Omaha series called simply "Nature" were my version of church, I'm not kidding! My summer vacation was to Etosha game reserve because I had become obsessed with the yearly wildebeest migration over salt flats and that whole phenomena. I drew everything I saw! Best trip of my life. Well tied for first, all trips in nature are sublime.

Off topic again(on flu meds) so anyway we are the same type of woman I think. We get what animals give, and they recognize we are their type of people,'wouldn't you say? I bring this up because I had considered breeding my AKC purebred Basset Hound for the past five years.

I finally concluded with my husband that, while he is an amazing pet, healthy handsome example of the breed, very high scent drive and tracking ability, he simply wasn't going to be a beneficial addition to the gene pool because of his behavioral quirks. Chop-chop. (He is a "resource-guarding" male which leads to aggression in the wrong situations, got to purge these qualities to breed responsibly).

I think that passionate people owe it to themselves or their communities to pursue their calling. Not all of us are given special purposes, but to deny the intuition that you were meant to be something... Well that my friend is what "mid-life crisis means", you blew it!
That trip sounds absolutely amazing! I think my favorite nature trip was when I went scuba diving in Turks and Caicos. I saw all sorts of fish, even some I recognized. I saw a bunch of niger triggerfish and a royal gramma (it may have been a bicolor dottyback though) and I saw feather dusters, corals, sharks, etc. It was amazing. it's how I originally got into saltwater before I quit. I'm not as interested in land animals as I am in fish and aquatic life though, but terrestrial animals are fascinating too.

I also agree that breeding animals is a spiritual endeavor. Caring for helpless and innocent life can be so rewarding. I learned that with my platy fry, even though they mostly took care of themselves lol. I did watch them grow up though, from just tiny translucent babies to juvenile platies, and it's been very rewarding. I can just imagine what it'd be like to take care of the babies myself.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #15

Lovely dog by the way! I love basset hounds.

Tags
betta, betta fish, breed, breeding, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com