Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Betta gender

Hello everyone! We recently got ďbaby girlĒ bettas from our local pet store but Iím starting to doubt that two of them are actually females. The two in question have fins that are much longer, their ventral fins are longer/sharper than a normal females and I can see a Ďbeardí on both of them. Although they are still young, they are beginning to look like veil tail males.

Theyíre both in a 20 gallon community/sorority betta tank (the community part meaning some guppies and mollies) and they never flare at any of the fish, show aggression, etc.. The two bettas in question swim by each other, swim by other fish, etc. with no problems or aggressive behaviors.

The one Iím more concerned about is the yellow one as I had a suspicion from the beginning that it wasnít a girl, but Iím getting more concerned about it now that it is showing more signs of being male. If they are in fact male but stay nonaggressive, will they both be okay to keep together with the females and the other fish in the 20 gallon? I donít have any more tanks/ space for two male bettas. Sorry these pictures arenít great, they move around a LOT in the tank and itís hard to get a good picture. I appreciate everyoneís help in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1912.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	312881

The dark blue and red one in this picture, not the lighter blue one (ignore the algae).

Name:	IMG_1913.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	312882

Old 05-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You're going to want to look for an "egg spot". It should be a little white spot near the belly.
I think I see one on the bottom fish on the bottom picture. But it will be easier for you to tell in person.
Both female and male bettas will flare their "beard" at stuff. The egg spot is pretty much the best way to tell.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
You're going to want to look for an "egg spot". It should be a little white spot near the belly.

I think I see one on the bottom fish on the bottom picture. But it will be easier for you to tell in person.

Both female and male bettas will flare their "beard" at stuff. The egg spot is pretty much the best way to tell.

I canít see an egg spot on either of them but because theyíre young thatís why I was going by fins. From what I know, juveniles donít have egg spots or at least they only become noticeable when theyíre ready to breed. Itís the yellow betta that I think is probably a male. Iíll look again to see later but I currently they donít show an egg spot.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmoon View Post
I canít see an egg spot on either of them but because theyíre young thatís why I was going by fins. From what I know, juveniles donít have egg spots or at least they only become noticeable when theyíre ready to breed. Itís the yellow betta that I think is probably a male. Iíll look again to see later but I currently they donít show an egg spot.
Can you get pictures of them flaring? I can't really see the ventral fins well. If they are like the baby girl/boy cups at Petco then they are pretty good at sexing them right. I would say they are both females since they have plump bellies. Females can have a slight beard and can sometimes have longer fins. Also the baby boy/girls are usually sold before females produce an egg spot.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

Name:	IMG_1919.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	312886

Hereís the best picture of the fish with the ventrals I could get. They wonít flare at their reflection and they also are super active so itís hard to get a good picture of them. The dark blue and red one wonít sit still at all for me but Iíll try to get something better tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmoon View Post
Attachment 312886

Hereís the best picture of the fish with the ventrals I could get. They wonít flare at their reflection and they also are super active so itís hard to get a good picture of them. The dark blue and red one wonít sit still at all for me but Iíll try to get something better tomorrow.

trust me i understand about getting pics of them lol. it is a total pain. the white one looks female to me.

Tags
betta, gender

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com