Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to GIMojo
we have no remorse for the poor lobsters who die right before we eat them at teh weddings?

goldfish are treated the same way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...iele/sakic.jpg
Old 06-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
A friend of mine from high school had bettas as her centerpieces. I "won" one of them, and poor thing survived the hour and a half drive home, but was dead by the next morning. Poor thing. I do have to say that they did include an instruction sheet on how to care for them and some food.
Yes, it was pretty, but I just wonder how many others didn't make it as well.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIMojo
we have no remorse for the poor lobsters who die right before we eat them at teh weddings?

goldfish are treated the same way.
I'm not so sure this is a clean analogy. The lobster is destined for the dinner plate. When chosen, the lobster is chosen with the end result in mind. There is no deception involved. The lobster is picked, presented, and cooked with a good meal in mind.

The betta, on the other hand, is presented as a decoration. A living object is relegated to take theplace of an inanimate one. There is no other motice (such as cooking). Instead, the end result is a wasted death. No benefit is derived from the death, except that a beautiful creature is almost purposefully sacrificed to become eye candy.

Of course, this whole argument breaks down if we speak with someone who has a general objection to eating animals. Then, we get to one of those topics that leaves no one convinced, and everyone mad.

Since I don't mind eating the occasional lobster, and enjoy looking at my betta in his 5 gal, the argument makes sense to me.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a link that was an interesting, if also maddening, read.

http://www.weddingchat.com/printthread.php?t=236558

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 06-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
4 Julii Corys
Old 06-29-2005, 09:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to GIMojo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyrican
Here is a link that was an interesting, if also maddening, read.

http://www.weddingchat.com/printthread.php?t=236558
than what the hell is peta complaining about. boycott kfc my ***!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...iele/sakic.jpg
Old 06-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I have two fish wedding favor stories. I'll start with the nastier of the two.

Someone I knew a few years ago and before I started posting here told me this story. At her wedding, she wanted to have goldfish in bowls and put her mother in charge of it. Apparently mom didn't have a clue and by the time the reception started, there were floating goldfish on at least half the tables. I asked if they were removed and she laughed and said they were left there and it "makes for a funny story" now. I lost a ton of respect for her that day.

At my sister-in-law's wedding, she thought about goldfish or bettas in bowls since they got married at a warf. Instead, she found glass fish that were attached to a floating glass ball and used those. The guests were thrilled by the centerpieces and not a living fish was hurt.

Closed Thread

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com