Betta's as wedding gifts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
A neighbour went to a wedding Sat nite and came knocking on my door Sun morning. He needed fish food for the betta they had been given by the newlyweds! He told me the fish hadn't been fed for 3 days and that the newlyweds had given betta's in glasses to all their guests? Is it just me or is this not only irresponsible but expensive? Many of the wedding guests wouldn't have taken the fish home and there would be all these starving bettas. Not to mention the ones that did take them home, how many of them would have a clue of how to care for them. I was a bit shocked, so I told him to go and buy a 5 gal tank and how to cycle it for the fish's sake. I hope he follows my advice! I have no idea how many guests were at the wedding. My bet is that there are a lot of unwanted betta fish out there now!

That's too bad.....the newlyweds thought they were being creative when in actuality that was probably a pretty bad idea....

you've never heard of that? People using bettas as their center piece and at the end of the night who ever wants them can take them. Its a horrible practice.. think of the poor fish on the tables all night with the noise, table bumping, and glass clanking

Sometimes I wish I could just slap some sense into people

i've heard of people using them as centrepieces, but the understanding that i got was that everyone was given one as a gift for attending..
Sometimes I wish I could just slap some sense into people
slap / capital punishment either way

Problem is...at least one or more of the guests are thinking: "Wow...what a great idea!" and will suggest the same to someone else and the cycle continues. :zook:

Actually no I had never heard of this before. And I hope I never hear of this again. If it were any of my friends I would tell them that it was a horrible idea. I hope the cycle will not continue. It's hard to believe that anyone would consider this a good idea.

we have no remorse for the poor lobsters who die right before we eat them at teh weddings? :(

goldfish are treated the same way.

A friend of mine from high school had bettas as her centerpieces. I "won" one of them, and poor thing survived the hour and a half drive home, but was dead by the next morning. Poor thing. I do have to say that they did include an instruction sheet on how to care for them and some food.
Yes, it was pretty, but I just wonder how many others didn't make it as well.

GIMojo said:
we have no remorse for the poor lobsters who die right before we eat them at teh weddings? :(

goldfish are treated the same way.

I'm not so sure this is a clean analogy. The lobster is destined for the dinner plate. When chosen, the lobster is chosen with the end result in mind. There is no deception involved. The lobster is picked, presented, and cooked with a good meal in mind.

The betta, on the other hand, is presented as a decoration. A living object is relegated to take theplace of an inanimate one. There is no other motice (such as cooking). Instead, the end result is a wasted death. No benefit is derived from the death, except that a beautiful creature is almost purposefully sacrificed to become eye candy.

Of course, this whole argument breaks down if we speak with someone who has a general objection to eating animals. Then, we get to one of those topics that leaves no one convinced, and everyone mad.

Since I don't mind eating the occasional lobster, and enjoy looking at my betta in his 5 gal, the argument makes sense to me.

I have two fish wedding favor stories. I'll start with the nastier of the two.

Someone I knew a few years ago and before I started posting here told me this story. At her wedding, she wanted to have goldfish in bowls and put her mother in charge of it. Apparently mom didn't have a clue and by the time the reception started, there were floating goldfish on at least half the tables. I asked if they were removed and she laughed and said they were left there and it "makes for a funny story" now. I lost a ton of respect for her that day.

At my sister-in-law's wedding, she thought about goldfish or bettas in bowls since they got married at a warf. Instead, she found glass fish that were attached to a floating glass ball and used those. The guests were thrilled by the centerpieces and not a living fish was hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom