Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

emily, i have found 2 private owned fish stores and 3 chain stores all within 20-30 miles of me... i will check again but unfortunately not much here. i do like the private owned stores but 1 of them sold me an albino African clawed frog as a dwarf.. this may not be fair of me to the frog, but i was unhappy about that, and i lost several fish from there.. the upside is they will take my unused merchandise and give me store credit . they also do not guraentee. when i walk out the door if it dies im our of luck.. the other store that is private owned is great, the owner went to school for marine biology and said he wont sell fish until he tests the water i have to make sure it is healthy, he also has a huge variety of fish that i like and want but they are 2x more than other stores. which is ok but as for the moment a strict budget its hard. i dont work in the summer so i am ready to go back on 9/2.. i have finally added plants and now i have a bunch of fish i want to trade in and get what i really want. also idk how this happened but my ammonia level spiked very high. i am losing fish like crazy 2 dead this morning, 4 yesterday... death was not the route i wanted to take for elimination... i just tested water 2 days earlier and ammonia was perfect.

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
isnt it very expensive to buy online? do you find the fish that make the trip are in better condition health wise than the ones bought at local stores. i would be interested in knowing if its worth it
It can definitely be expensive to have to fish shipped.

As for the quality of livestock it really depends on who you are buying from. I have got some truly excellent quality fish shipped to me. It is also often the only way to acquire some of the more rare fish.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Naaa its about the same price, only issue is shipping. They usually have DOA policy if the shipment was on time and you take pics.

Fish get shipped to suppliers and either picked up or shipped to the store so its funny people are worried about them getting shipped to your house. Your basically skipping the store step.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's the story. I have seven tanks now and the ONLY the tank giving me trouble with water quality is my big one, that 180 is always getting something wrong. Any chance there is some dead fish you're missing in there?

How big is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my 29 gallon

this is my 29 gallon that i am hoping to keep. i had a major ammonia spike for some odd reason which i am unsure why but in the past week i have lost 4 guppies, 3 endler, 1 bumblebee goby, 1 silver molly, 1 angel fish. i am assuming i was over stocked but at this point i would say i am no longer overstocked. i was feeling confidant as things were stable so i started to add some plants and really like them. but still dont understand the spike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my 29 gal.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	248071  

Amy
Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Naaa its about the same price, only issue is shipping. They usually have DOA policy if the shipment was on time and you take pics.

Fish get shipped to suppliers and either picked up or shipped to the store so its funny people are worried about them getting shipped to your house. Your basically skipping the store step.

The DOA policy is usually they will give you an other fish, but you must pay shipping, $50 for that $7 fish that died.

As for the shipping to the store, that's a good point, but sometimes like my local guy, he gets his angels from a local breeder, same with a lot of his ciclids. But also, I'd rather let the store pay the shipping and get to go down and pick the healthiest of the bunch or the color/gender I need.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

unique is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

thats what i would like, something that is rare and unique.. an aquarium that will catch peoples eyes and be in awe when they see the fish and how pretty some are.

Amy
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
this is my 29 gallon that i am hoping to keep. i had a major ammonia spike for some odd reason which i am unsure why but in the past week i have lost 4 guppies, 3 endler, 1 bumblebee goby, 1 silver molly, 1 angel fish. i am assuming i was over stocked but at this point i would say i am no longer overstocked. i was feeling confidant as things were stable so i started to add some plants and really like them. but still dont understand the spike.

What do you have left? What are the water parameters now?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 08-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygupps View Post
That's the story. I have seven tanks now and the ONLY the tank giving me trouble with water quality is my big one, that 180 is always getting something wrong. Any chance there is some dead fish you're missing in there?

How big is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone
my tank is a 29 gal. i would have to say no as after i found out about the ammonia spike i did a 90% water change and added stabilizer as i was advised. i look a few times a day for dead fish.. kinda sad.. can the plants be doing this

Amy
Old 08-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wink perimiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygupps View Post
What do you have left? What are the water parameters now?

Sent from my iPhone
not sure what they are right now. i did the change last night. i dont have any reg test strips left at home. i was going to take a water sample to the store close to me and see what my readings are... i wonder how long it takes to get the ammonia back to normal levels

Amy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com