Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Again NO reputable breeder EVER sells dogs to a store !!! Not Ever !!!

They want to know where EVERY puppy goes and screen the homes and have signed contracts. I've had Whippets over 30 years. Member of my local club, have been member of my National club.

I've run rescue and been foster home.
The only "breeders" that sell to stores are Mills or Backyard Breeders in it for MONEY period !!!

If they love their breed and love their dogs they absolutely want to know where every dog they've ever bred is at and that they are safe and cared for. Good Breeders will take dogs back at any age. My contracts required it. You cannot just pass on a dog without contacting me first.

In 30 years I've raised 3 litters, bred one litter and currently have two Champions on my couch. I rarely breed because I have done rescue and worry about good homes.

I've worked in a Pet Store that sold puppies from local BYBs. The puppies that didn't sell right away got weird from lack of exercise and lack of normal life. We did take puppies out daily , but life in a cage is not a good life.

BYBs don't test Eyes, ears, hearts, hips etc...either.

I will never support a store that sells puppies. And I'll tell the owner why.
You are so right Coursair, good breeders care about their dogs and puppies and don't sell to any stores! Plus puppies should be up todate on shots and deworming and not rehomed before the age of eight weeks.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Support adoption

there are a couple different articles about how ALL puppies are from Puppy mills or Back yard breeder. Which I consider just a smaller puppy mill, There was one even written how The person responsible for dropping the puppies off at the various store. She had a store refuse a puppy because the collar said it was CKC instead of AKC. So the lady went back to the car/truck and the senior person said "Take the collar off the AKC and put it on the CKC puppy and take it back in there. Then then will give the other one to another store" I remember this because it shocked me. ALL come from puppy mills and are shipped in. I asked a pet store once about a puppy and they told me they come from somewhere in the Caroline's or somewhere. Very general papers and had no location of Origin.

Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maddy...no, certainly I'm not trying to fight. Perhaps Canada is different. But in the US, there are no two ways about it. Pet store puppies come from only one place, and it's not a good place. I'm sorry I can't shop locally, but it's egregious. And in the US, it's not a rumor. My guess is that a mill can easily provide papers that make them look reputable.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post

I will never support a store that sells puppies. And I'll tell the owner why.
Well said and good for you! Spread the word!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, puppy mills are all over. They are also marketing their pups online, and are very good at making things look wholesome. Any picture of cute puppies in a basket is a dead giveaway. Sellers willing to ship puppies and let them go earlier than 8 weeks are suspect too. And sadly, you end up paying more, for unhealthy, non-standard pups. They are also the source for most "designer" breeds.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

BTW I'm just as protective about all my critters. I once let a local store sell 3 of my baby Bearded Dragons with the written stipulation that each was sold with a large enough cage ( that I approved ), a copy of the best book available and my phone number. Each new owner was asked to contact me with any and all questions and problems. The babies all got good homes, owners were happy and store thought I was crazy, but it was a win win. The only time I've sold through a store.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My 2 cents!!!

My little dog came from a puppy mill raid of around 350-400 dogs, no business/ or persons could properly take care and socialize/ know anything really about that many animals. He came through the Humane Society, it was on the news and just over a week later they were all adopted but 3.

Mine was one of the 3! Every week for months I had been looking for the specific dog for our family, (calling up to 8 locations in three states weekly,) and he was the only one of his type left! The only week I didn't call was the week they had all those dogs, lol. I missed the news that day I guess, but I got our perfect dog. Several types of parasites/worms and respiratory infection and kennel cough, matted and dejected with poop stuck to his butt. We were so happy to find each other!!!

Much better places to buy a dog than a pet store. Tell them to promote adoption from a rescue org(s)!!!

He is going on 17 years old, VERY old and senile now, mostly blind and mostly deaf and has dog Alzheimers, he was our perfect dog and knew from the second we saw him! That was over 15 years ago. He's like 115 in dog years!!!

Those places are mostly hell on earth for those poor dogs, chronically ill. Litter after litter before they even have time to get healthy again. Tell the lfs owners "NO" and why you won't be shopping there, they need to know.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to go out of my way to write a letter. Good idea. They're the only ones in town who sells puppies; maybe I can gather some signatures.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeelion
I'm going to go out of my way to write a letter. Good idea. They're the only ones in town who sells puppies; maybe I can gather some signatures.
Great idea!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I haven't read each reply yet(want to!) but I feel so strongly about puppy mills:

After reading the Op I thought; "well I would react by addressing the owner or person who knows me as a regular what the deal is and how the breeders prove to the pet store that they are responsible and humane? Customers have a right to be told the truth"

But trust your instincts. In fact- if you don't get the name and address easily from your pet store I would let them know you are emailing a newspaper to find out as a public service to other would be pet owners in your area.

Tags
big, lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com