Big Chain LFS vs. Puppy Mill LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
I normally try to buy local and support small businesses. My LFS has pretty nice stock and reasonable prices. The problem? They've started selling puppies.

As much as I hate to buy from the big chain stores, I don't think I can support a business that keeps the puppy mills in business. The chain LFS is all about corporate greed and dumb advice, but at least they showcase local animal shelter pets for adoption.

Anybody else face this situation? It's a real shame.

Yeah, these a local chain here, that has a very decent fish department and puppy mill puppies. :( the alternative is another local LFS which is super high priced and way across town, or national chains with ignorant employees.

Shipping can be expensive but you could buy from reputable online fish stores instead. No corporations, no terrible advice from ignorant employees, no puppy farms, and the fish are probably more healthy than at the LFS anyways, and definitely more healthy than at the chain stores.

The majority of puppies sold in pet stores are NOT from puppy mills. They're ridiculously overpriced, but most are from reputable, ethical breeders. Don't judge the store before you know where the puppies actually come from!

I have to disagree. Having purchased dogs from breeders, I can assure you that no "reputable" breeder would ever let their puppies go to a pet store. Dog breeders are notoriously picky about where their puppies go. If they sell to a pet store, they're in the business for the wrong reasons and not AKC accredited. They may not be a "mill", but perhaps a backyard breeder.

Same hug here. There's like 3 puppies per 5x2x4 for cell. It's sad. And very overstocked. Haha

One of my close friends was the puppy buyer for a local pet store for 21 years before they stopped selling puppies. She got puppies from many breeders, at only a slightly lower price than they sell puppies to the public for. They're not usually the same breeders as those who sell to the public, but most ARE ethical and registered. Puppy paperwork for most pet stores includes proof of dog registration, parent lineage, health guarantees and a minimum of one in-home check up after the puppy is brought home.

Again NO reputable breeder EVER sells dogs to a store !!! Not Ever !!!

They want to know where EVERY puppy goes and screen the homes and have signed contracts. I've had Whippets over 30 years. Member of my local club, have been member of my National club.

I've run rescue and been foster home.
The only "breeders" that sell to stores are Mills or Backyard Breeders in it for MONEY period !!!

If they love their breed and love their dogs they absolutely want to know where every dog they've ever bred is at and that they are safe and cared for. Good Breeders will take dogs back at any age. My contracts required it. You cannot just pass on a dog without contacting me first.

In 30 years I've raised 3 litters, bred one litter and currently have two Champions on my couch. I rarely breed because I have done rescue and worry about good homes.

I've worked in a Pet Store that sold puppies from local BYBs. The puppies that didn't sell right away got weird from lack of exercise and lack of normal life. We did take puppies out daily , but life in a cage is not a good life.

BYBs don't test Eyes, ears, hearts, hips etc...either.

I will never support a store that sells puppies. And I'll tell the owner why.

The store near me is known to have puppy mill dogs. There is a huge industry of puppy mills in certain areas of the state.

I have a feeling pet stores might be quite different down here in Canada. I wouldn't be able to compare as I've new been to he states, but every store puppy I've seen has been vet checked from nose to tail...who knows though, I'm not trying to fight, I just encourage people to get undesputable facts before jumping to conclusions based on rumors (which may be true, but sometimes/often aren't)

Again NO reputable breeder EVER sells dogs to a store !!! Not Ever !!!

They want to know where EVERY puppy goes and screen the homes and have signed contracts. I've had Whippets over 30 years. Member of my local club, have been member of my National club.

I've run rescue and been foster home.
The only "breeders" that sell to stores are Mills or Backyard Breeders in it for MONEY period !!!

If they love their breed and love their dogs they absolutely want to know where every dog they've ever bred is at and that they are safe and cared for. Good Breeders will take dogs back at any age. My contracts required it. You cannot just pass on a dog without contacting me first.

In 30 years I've raised 3 litters, bred one litter and currently have two Champions on my couch. I rarely breed because I have done rescue and worry about good homes.

I've worked in a Pet Store that sold puppies from local BYBs. The puppies that didn't sell right away got weird from lack of exercise and lack of normal life. We did take puppies out daily , but life in a cage is not a good life.

BYBs don't test Eyes, ears, hearts, hips etc...either.

I will never support a store that sells puppies. And I'll tell the owner why.

You are so right Coursair, good breeders care about their dogs and puppies and don't sell to any stores! Plus puppies should be up todate on shots and deworming and not rehomed before the age of eight weeks.

Support adoption

there are a couple different articles about how ALL puppies are from Puppy mills or Back yard breeder. Which I consider just a smaller puppy mill, There was one even written how The person responsible for dropping the puppies off at the various store. She had a store refuse a puppy because the collar said it was CKC instead of AKC. So the lady went back to the car/truck and the senior person said "Take the collar off the AKC and put it on the CKC puppy and take it back in there. Then then will give the other one to another store" I remember this because it shocked me. ALL come from puppy mills and are shipped in. I asked a pet store once about a puppy and they told me they come from somewhere in the Caroline's or somewhere. Very general papers and had no location of Origin.

Maddy...no, certainly I'm not trying to fight. Perhaps Canada is different. But in the US, there are no two ways about it. Pet store puppies come from only one place, and it's not a good place. I'm sorry I can't shop locally, but it's egregious. And in the US, it's not a rumor. My guess is that a mill can easily provide papers that make them look reputable.

Yeah, puppy mills are all over. They are also marketing their pups online, and are very good at making things look wholesome. Any picture of cute puppies in a basket is a dead giveaway. Sellers willing to ship puppies and let them go earlier than 8 weeks are suspect too. And sadly, you end up paying more, for unhealthy, non-standard pups. They are also the source for most "designer" breeds.

BTW I'm just as protective about all my critters. I once let a local store sell 3 of my baby Bearded Dragons with the written stipulation that each was sold with a large enough cage ( that I approved ), a copy of the best book available and my phone number. Each new owner was asked to contact me with any and all questions and problems. The babies all got good homes, owners were happy and store thought I was crazy, but it was a win win. The only time I've sold through a store.

My 2 cents!!!

My little dog came from a puppy mill raid of around 350-400 dogs, no business/ or persons could properly take care and socialize/ know anything really about that many animals. He came through the Humane Society, it was on the news and just over a week later they were all adopted but 3. :dance:

Mine was one of the 3! Every week for months I had been looking for the specific dog for our family, (calling up to 8 locations in three states weekly,) and he was the only one of his type left! The only week I didn't call was the week they had all those dogs, lol. I missed the news that day I guess, but I got our perfect dog. Several types of parasites/worms and respiratory infection and kennel cough, matted and dejected with poop stuck to his butt. We were so happy to find each other!!!

Much better places to buy a dog than a pet store. Tell them to promote adoption from a rescue org(s)!!!

He is going on 17 years old, VERY old and senile now, mostly blind and mostly deaf and has dog Alzheimers, he was our perfect dog and knew from the second we saw him! That was over 15 years ago. He's like 115 in dog years!!!

Those places are mostly hell on earth for those poor dogs, chronically ill. Litter after litter before they even have time to get healthy again. Tell the lfs owners "NO" and why you won't be shopping there, they need to know.

I'm going to go out of my way to write a letter. Good idea. They're the only ones in town who sells puppies; maybe I can gather some signatures.

Lardeelion said:
I'm going to go out of my way to write a letter. Good idea. They're the only ones in town who sells puppies; maybe I can gather some signatures.

Great idea!

I haven't read each reply yet(want to!) but I feel so strongly about puppy mills:

After reading the Op I thought; "well I would react by addressing the owner or person who knows me as a regular what the deal is and how the breeders prove to the pet store that they are responsible and humane? Customers have a right to be told the truth"

But trust your instincts. In fact- if you don't get the name and address easily from your pet store I would let them know you are emailing a newspaper to find out as a public service to other would be pet owners in your area.

Back
Top Bottom