Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Big Chain LFS vs. Puppy Mill LFS

I normally try to buy local and support small businesses. My LFS has pretty nice stock and reasonable prices. The problem? They've started selling puppies.

As much as I hate to buy from the big chain stores, I don't think I can support a business that keeps the puppy mills in business. The chain LFS is all about corporate greed and dumb advice, but at least they showcase local animal shelter pets for adoption.

Anybody else face this situation? It's a real shame.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, these a local chain here, that has a very decent fish department and puppy mill puppies. the alternative is another local LFS which is super high priced and way across town, or national chains with ignorant employees.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Shipping can be expensive but you could buy from reputable online fish stores instead. No corporations, no terrible advice from ignorant employees, no puppy farms, and the fish are probably more healthy than at the LFS anyways, and definitely more healthy than at the chain stores.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The majority of puppies sold in pet stores are NOT from puppy mills. They're ridiculously overpriced, but most are from reputable, ethical breeders. Don't judge the store before you know where the puppies actually come from!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to disagree. Having purchased dogs from breeders, I can assure you that no "reputable" breeder would ever let their puppies go to a pet store. Dog breeders are notoriously picky about where their puppies go. If they sell to a pet store, they're in the business for the wrong reasons and not AKC accredited. They may not be a "mill", but perhaps a backyard breeder.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same hug here. There's like 3 puppies per 5x2x4 for cell. It's sad. And very overstocked. Haha
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

One of my close friends was the puppy buyer for a local pet store for 21 years before they stopped selling puppies. She got puppies from many breeders, at only a slightly lower price than they sell puppies to the public for. They're not usually the same breeders as those who sell to the public, but most ARE ethical and registered. Puppy paperwork for most pet stores includes proof of dog registration, parent lineage, health guarantees and a minimum of one in-home check up after the puppy is brought home.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again NO reputable breeder EVER sells dogs to a store !!! Not Ever !!!

They want to know where EVERY puppy goes and screen the homes and have signed contracts. I've had Whippets over 30 years. Member of my local club, have been member of my National club.

I've run rescue and been foster home.
The only "breeders" that sell to stores are Mills or Backyard Breeders in it for MONEY period !!!

If they love their breed and love their dogs they absolutely want to know where every dog they've ever bred is at and that they are safe and cared for. Good Breeders will take dogs back at any age. My contracts required it. You cannot just pass on a dog without contacting me first.

In 30 years I've raised 3 litters, bred one litter and currently have two Champions on my couch. I rarely breed because I have done rescue and worry about good homes.

I've worked in a Pet Store that sold puppies from local BYBs. The puppies that didn't sell right away got weird from lack of exercise and lack of normal life. We did take puppies out daily , but life in a cage is not a good life.

BYBs don't test Eyes, ears, hearts, hips etc...either.

I will never support a store that sells puppies. And I'll tell the owner why.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The store near me is known to have puppy mill dogs. There is a huge industry of puppy mills in certain areas of the state.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a feeling pet stores might be quite different down here in Canada. I wouldn't be able to compare as I've new been to he states, but every store puppy I've seen has been vet checked from nose to tail...who knows though, I'm not trying to fight, I just encourage people to get undesputable facts before jumping to conclusions based on rumors (which may be true, but sometimes/often aren't)

Tags
big, lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com