Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPryor View Post
thank you I try to keep a balance. Working there, it's a lovely opportunity to meet people just starting with fish who truly want some advice from someone with a face (forums are bit impersonal). Sometimes though, its frustrating when your bagging a fish going "goodbye lil guy....and I'm sorry".
Yes it is a tough job because the customer is not always right. I would get the regulars who would always chat with me and talk fish but then I'd get the jerks who know everything or don't want to listen and will tell you everything wrong with what you're doing. Or how their 29 is fine for a blood parrot, jack Dempsey, large convict and flower horn....

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
I know they think the fish will stop growing when the tank is to small, which it actually does but it's organs continue to grow causing death.
I tell this to EVERYONE who buys a goldfish! I need to get cards printed to hand out

Old 03-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPryor View Post
I tell this to EVERYONE who buys a goldfish! I need to get cards printed to hand out
The picture of them on the packaging of the small tanks probably doesn't help you out much, huh???
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it shows like 30 swordtails in the 10 gallo. Tanks
Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I completely agree. People need to hear this.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

While I love the Glofish themselves, the company that sells products for them is one of the worst offenders at misleading marketing... It's so frustrating seeing all these "Glofish" kits in the tiny range, but they wouldn't keep making them if it wasn't for people that keep buying them against the recommendations of the employees... The customers tend to only listen to what they want to hear. The company is capitalizing on people's stupidity instead of letting it go to waste. Yay capitalism?

Btw, one way you might be able to deter the people going for the tiny glofish tanks is to show them what a proper sized setup can look like for them. They really look fantastic and eye catching, much moreso than the itty bitty tanks that aren't suited to them. I've got a pic of my 36 gallon bowfront Glofish setup floating around here that I can dig up if you need it
Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post

Btw, one way you might be able to deter the people going for the tiny glofish tanks is to show them what a proper sized setup can look like for them. They really look fantastic and eye catching, much moreso than the itty bitty tanks that aren't suited to them. I've got a pic of my 36 gallon bowfront Glofish setup floating around here that I can dig up if you need it
Yes, that's a great idea and I'd love to have a reference! Right now, I have convinced a few people that a better idea is to buy a Betta for their itty bitty glo tanks. We keep the Goldskirt Tetras in a tank with the purple Glo Tetras, and they end up a really pretty pearly purple under the lights. I've sold a few of the white bettas that no one seems to want otherwise this way

Do you think the light affects the fish aversely in any way? Also, I feel like the glo tanks at work always have more algae in them....thoughts?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
Yes it shows like 30 swordtails in the 10 gallo. Tanks

haha, I told someone who was tank shopping last night to take the pictures of the stocked tanks and cut the number fish in half AT LEAST for more realistic expectations.

We have several fish magazines for sale at the store that picture more realistic tanks.....like a beautiful 5 gal. with pretty silk plants and three spotted male guppies. I'm thinking of bringing a binder with more realistic tanks....not every customer will want to look, but for the people who come in who really want guidance, it could help them "visualize" their tanks.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been offered a job at my LFS, I had to refuse even a management position, I have enough of educating my family.. So sad for the fishies :-(
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I'd get the jerks who know everything or don't want to listen and will tell you everything wrong with what you're doing. Or how their 29 is fine for a blood parrot, jack Dempsey, large convict and flower horn....
Cichlids are the worst for me! I have ZERO experience with them....got to visit more of the forums on them here. I hate when we have a "buy two fish, get the third one free" sale, because thats when people make really, really dumb cichlid decisions. Sure it's a deal when you get a $6+ fish for free, but if you're just getting it because you can, and had no plan going in.... *sigh*

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com