Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
She walked off after talking to him and I was like... "a ghost knife in a 30?"
He just leaned into me and said low, "This lady never listens to anything I say. I tell her something and she does the opposite. I just gave up."
YES YES YES! There have been a few days where I'm so frustrated with a "regular" who cant keep their tank stocked that I just keep quiet.....but then I always feel bad. I don't feel like I've done my best job unless I at least make an effort to give the best advice I'm able to, even when I know I'll be ignored. So I just smile brightly, chirp my advice, and try to look cheerful when I bag the fish.... if it's bad enough I'll void the refund, though it's rare.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPryor View Post
Yes, that's a great idea and I'd love to have a reference! Right now, I have convinced a few people that a better idea is to buy a Betta for their itty bitty glo tanks. We keep the Goldskirt Tetras in a tank with the purple Glo Tetras, and they end up a really pretty pearly purple under the lights. I've sold a few of the white bettas that no one seems to want otherwise this way

Do you think the light affects the fish aversely in any way? Also, I feel like the glo tanks at work always have more algae in them....thoughts?
Here's what my Glofish tank looks like, and no, it doesn't have more algae as long as you have shrimp or snails. I get a little extra here or there, but nothing that a quick mag-scraper and some rubbing of the decorations during water change time won't solve.

I've been running my Glotank for over a year now and have never noticed any adverse behavior from my inhabitants, so the light doesn't seem to bother them at all. I actually see more of my shyer guys in this tank because the different light spectrum doesn't seem to make them as nervous

Edit: Oh, and another way to encourage them toward the bigger tank... Those awesome lionfish and jellyfish decorations are too big to fit into the small tanks

Old 03-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post

Edit: Oh, and another way to encourage them toward the bigger tank... Those awesome lionfish and jellyfish decorations are too big to fit into the small tanks

AGHHHHHH THAT IS SOOOOO COOOOOOOOL! I am SO going to print this out to show people your tank! Is there any way you would like to receive credit for this image? Should I just put the URL?

Oh, and thank you for clairifying that the jellifish were decorations....I was about to have a serious case of the derps, and ask if they were real

......btw, we have a dragon decoration in one of our tanks and twice now I've heard a customer turn to a loved one and say "Look darling! Look at that lizard in there, I wonder what he eats?" etc. ....I just turn around and walk away until I can regain my composure.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPryor View Post
AGHHHHHH THAT IS SOOOOO COOOOOOOOL! I am SO going to print this out to show people your tank! Is there any way you would like to receive credit for this image? Should I just put the URL?

Oh, and thank you for clairifying that the jellifish were decorations....I was about to have a serious case of the derps, and ask if they were real

......btw, we have a dragon decoration in one of our tanks and twice now I've heard a customer turn to a loved one and say "Look darling! Look at that lizard in there, I wonder what he eats?" etc. ....I just turn around and walk away until I can regain my composure.
No worries, I get the question about the jellyfish a lot. They really do look realistic at first glance

I'm not picky about credit, but if you tell them it was an online forum member's tank that should be fine. If people want to do a similar design I'll be flattered, not upset.

Omg on the dragon decoration bit
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll tell yall my favorite story while working at a "petstore". One day I was right about to leave and a guy walks in and tells me he has a 12" oscar that he just got in a 55g tank. He begins to tell me the Oscar looks dirty and is looking for stuff to wash him. I was a bit lost at this point so I asked a few more questions and turns out he was holding the Oscar and he was slimy and he wanted to wash the slime off?!? I told him he could if he wanted to but his fish is gonna die because that's the Oscars slime coat and he needs it.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feel like at this point I should share a positive story regarding customers....about a month ago, a lady came in and selected a 20 gal. long aquarium. As I was helping her load it on a handcart, she said she had a standard 20 gal with a herd of cory cats in it, and was getting this tank to put them into, as they were beginning to breed. She was very concerned about what to do with the fry. I mentioned craigslist and she balked, saying she could not stand the thought of putting them into a bad situation. I thought about it some more, and suggested she go to the local science museum and ask about the fish club that met there - she could talk with and "interview" the people who might take some of the fry and even possibly they could help her identify genders, so she could separate them to keep the numbers manageable. I'll start adding this forum as well as a resource for customers who hit me with something I am WHOLLY unprepared to answer!

And my heart grows three sizes whenever a young'un and their parent comes in to research their future pets. I don't mind at all being interviewed by people who want to get a feel for how well our fish are cared for!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
I'll tell yall my favorite story while working at a "petstore". One day I was right about to leave and a guy walks in and tells me he has a 12" oscar that he just got in a 55g tank. He begins to tell me the Oscar looks dirty and is looking for stuff to wash him. I was a bit lost at this point so I asked a few more questions and turns out he was holding the Oscar and he was slimy and he wanted to wash the slime off?!? I told him he could if he wanted to but his fish is gonna die because that's the Oscars slime coat and he needs it.

You win for best story, jwh0818, you win.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yesterday, I didn't realize until they left the store that an employee had sold some lady and her young daughter a 1/2 gallon betta keeper and a pair-Male and female-of bettas. I was buying feeder rosy reds and just was not apying attention.

I will say that most of the employees at the [name removed]store that just opened near me have learned to ask me questions. They realize I have done this for years and at least are trying. The employee from yesterday was new and I went back in and pointed out what happened to the manager. He stood there and told me he was sorry and trying his best to get them to think.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have he oppisite problem. The petstore employees hate me as a customer lol people think I work there because I like to give advice. And I may or may not have talked people out of buying certain fish...after they were already bagged.....
Old 03-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

As a fellow pet store worker, I completely agree. I get tired of explaining to people everyday why fish can't go in one gallon bowls and why we can have 1000 goldfish in our huge fish wall but they can't have 20 in a 10 gallon. I hate hearing people mispronounce fish names on purpose because they think it's cute. You reach a point of either not caring or having cared to much. It kills me to see fish go to bad homes where you know the people will be back tomorrow to get a replacement and then go "well why did it die?"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com