Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #61
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,244
Just so everyone knows you can not post names of stores or business`s. Please refrainn from posting names.
__________________

__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishyd's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 354
Rant about one of the chain stores nearby: This was maybe 6 months ago now, I was looking around at the local stores for ideas on my community tank I was setting up. Went to one of the big pet stores close to my house and got really frustrated with the staff there. Walked around looking through their tanks and they all were absolutely disgusting. Algae growing out of control. There was at least one dead fish in almost every tank. And there betta display just pissed me off. Close to half the bettas were dead. While I'm just getting more and more upset, every single employee that was working was in the middle of the store, organizing large bins of stuffed toys. So after seeing the bettas, I went to them and said someone needs to go take care of the fish department. All I got was an Ok from one of them and they all turned back to organizing the toys and gossiping. I said "So... you all should go do some real work." and left. Haven't been back to that store since.

On a brighter note though, that pet store opened up a new location sometime last summer about 20min away. Finally checked it out because my wife wanted to see and I'm happy that she forced me there. Manager said hi as soon as I stepped into the fish area (wife went off to look at cat stuff) and we chatted for close to half hour. Tanks there were spotless and fish looked healthy and were very active. Granted, deaths do still happen, but he was on top of it and removed them as soon as one is spotted. The manager at that store actually cares about the fish and takes pride in his work and knows the fish. I stop in every chance I get when I'm out that way.

So yea... there's my rant and kudos.
__________________

__________________
fishyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kittykat364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyd View Post
Rant about one of the chain stores nearby: This was maybe 6 months ago now, I was looking around at the local stores for ideas on my community tank I was setting up. Went to one of the big pet stores close to my house and got really frustrated with the staff there. Walked around looking through their tanks and they all were absolutely disgusting. Algae growing out of control. There was at least one dead fish in almost every tank. And there betta display just pissed me off. Close to half the bettas were dead. While I'm just getting more and more upset, every single employee that was working was in the middle of the store, organizing large bins of stuffed toys. So after seeing the bettas, I went to them and said someone needs to go take care of the fish department. All I got was an Ok from one of them and they all turned back to organizing the toys and gossiping. I said "So... you all should go do some real work." and left. Haven't been back to that store since.

On a brighter note though, that pet store opened up a new location sometime last summer about 20min away. Finally checked it out because my wife wanted to see and I'm happy that she forced me there. Manager said hi as soon as I stepped into the fish area (wife went off to look at cat stuff) and we chatted for close to half hour. Tanks there were spotless and fish looked healthy and were very active. Granted, deaths do still happen, but he was on top of it and removed them as soon as one is spotted. The manager at that store actually cares about the fish and takes pride in his work and knows the fish. I stop in every chance I get when I'm out that way.

So yea... there's my rant and kudos.

That's great/horrible news. I wonder if that store is a franchise?
__________________
Kittykat364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishyd's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat364 View Post
That's great/horrible news. I wonder if that store is a franchise?
Don't think they do. The fish department manager at the new one used to be the manager at the bad store but got moved about 5 years ago he said. I wasn't living in the area at the time he was there so didn't know how good it was. Just know that the store close to me has been getting worse every time I went and that last visit was the last straw for me.
__________________
fishyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8
Wish I had you to stop me from purchasing 2 Crayfish at the local fish store. They were cool and helped clean the bottom but they attacked my bottom dwellers and other fish. I researched but nothing prepared me for those monsters. Needless to say I replaced them with two adorable cories.
__________________
Mecha Ghidrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
CPryor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: A-way Down South, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyd View Post
[...] Went to one of the big pet stores close to my house [...] their tanks and they all were absolutely disgusting. Algae growing out of control. There was at least one dead fish in almost every tank. And there betta display just pissed me off.
[...]that pet store opened up a new location sometime last summer about 20min away. [...] Tanks there were spotless and fish looked healthy and were very active.
Thats such a good point: with the Big Box stores, you really have to check out each location for yourself and see what's going on; each location has a different "culture" within it.

On our slow days, we do extra cleaning and maintenance tasks on our habitats - our dept. manager is really fantastic about keeping a list of extra duties to do. There's hardly ever a true "slow day" where I would consider stepping out of the dept. ....not that I don't want to help keep the rest of the store clean and organized, but I was hired primarily to protect the health and safety of the animals.

We have customers who drive past other, closer chains (even our sister stores) to come to us.....if that doesn't tell us we're on the right track, I don't know what does!
__________________
CPryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
CPryor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: A-way Down South, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Ghidrah View Post
Wish I had you to stop me from purchasing 2 Crayfish at the local fish store. They were cool and helped clean the bottom but they attacked my bottom dwellers and other fish. I researched but nothing prepared me for those monsters. Needless to say I replaced them with two adorable cories.
0_0 Yikes! We don't actually carry crayfish - but they do "hitch a ride" once in a great while with the shipments of feeder goldfish. We keep one as a pet, and he's very popular. We had another come in about two weeks ago, and adopted him out - I heard my coworker warn them about their feeding habits and the person assured us he would be in a planted tank alone. Wish we could have warned you too
__________________
CPryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPryor View Post
0_0 Yikes! We don't actually carry crayfish - but they do "hitch a ride" once in a great while with the shipments of feeder goldfish. We keep one as a pet, and he's very popular. We had another come in about two weeks ago, and adopted him out - I heard my coworker warn them about their feeding habits and the person assured us he would be in a planted tank alone. Wish we could have warned you too
Lol that customer is still in for a suprise! Crayfish DESTROY plants. That planted tank is about to be a fooating plant exhibit lol
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Patty1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPryor View Post
Thats such a good point: with the Big Box stores, you really have to check out each location for yourself and see what's going on; each location has a different "culture" within it.

On our slow days, we do extra cleaning and maintenance tasks on our habitats - our dept. manager is really fantastic about keeping a list of extra duties to do. There's hardly ever a true "slow day" where I would consider stepping out of the dept. ....not that I don't want to help keep the rest of the store clean and organized, but I was hired primarily to protect the health and safety of the animals.

We have customers who drive past other, closer chains (even our sister stores) to come to us.....if that doesn't tell us we're on the right track, I don't know what does!
That's great! Our local "big box store" has the best fish department people! Those fish are loved. Judy won't let just anyone buy a fish without getting the customers story, experience, provides education, and just does right by her animals. She has 11 tanks in her home, and a few of the others in that department refer to themselves as her apprentices, and are total fish nerds too They are not there to upsell. They are there to be fish advocates and true caretakers. I go to the same chain down the highway? Complete nightmare.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Patty1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
CPryor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: A-way Down South, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
Lol that customer is still in for a suprise! Crayfish DESTROY plants. That planted tank is about to be a fooating plant exhibit lol
Dagnabbit....really? I hateeeeee retroactively learning things We...keep ours in with live plants? Do we have an oddball?
__________________

__________________
CPryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chain pet stores Fishboi250 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 04-08-2014 05:37 PM
Experience buying fish at chain pet stores? malonbl Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 38 02-17-2014 05:10 AM
Where Is the Best Place to Buy Fish? Small Store, Mail Order or Big Chain? HootsHooligan Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 6 04-06-2012 09:22 AM
I was asked to LEAVE PET***** (local chain store) Jnam General Retailers 21 02-22-2009 06:33 PM
'Interesting' fish showing up in chain pet stores Fruitbat Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 03-18-2004 03:29 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.