Big Chain Pet Store Employee, Venting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, soooo...I work in the small animal dept. at a chain pet store. I've had a betta for the past 4 years, and just started a 10 gal, so you KNOW i'm not an expert - but I DO know that "no, no sir.....you can not put this bala shark in a five gallon" and "no, you can not put this tiger oscar in with your gold fish" (and yes, these are things I have had to tell people).

I'm just INSANELY tired of people buying their children 3 gal. aquariums and wanting to keep 4 Glofish ("one of each color!"), and getting angry at me for telling them not to do it. Can we please start some sort of petition to those Glofish people to stop making anything smaller than a 10 gallon, when the fish they offer are danios and tetras???? I cant tell you how often I've had parents "sneak" in to buy a replacement fish, so their child can avoid the trauma of having to face the death of their pet :banghead:

My store has a 2 week return policy. One thing we DO have the power to do, is void the warrantee on our fish - it does help a little. When I know someone is HORRIBLY overstocking their ciclid tank, I can tell them "I'm sorry ma'am, but if you insist on 100 inches of fish in a 50 gallon, I'm going to have to revoke the warrantee", then I go to the register and instruct them to write VOID on their receipt. It often makes them rethink their choices....but it only really works when i have the time to do it (we are not busy), and the fish selection is SO in-your-face bad that it's worth the risk of them complaining to the manager....I know the manager wont back us up on all things.

One last thing - I've had customers pull me aside and complain NASTILY about a co-worker when she told them the truth about their poor fish selection, looking for some sympathy from me......no. I usually get an earful about customer service....to which i respond that we ARE doing them a service by providing them with some good advice....it hasn't seemed to have calmed down a single person so far :whistle:

So....just some love for my fellow fish store employees....we may not be experts for minimum wage, but seeing the people i do, I understand why so many customers get bad advice....it's hard to tell people the truth!

I know where you work (in your profile) and I did as well. You have to tell them what the store wants you to tell them because otherwise you will get fired. I always recommended people to come to AA and seek out advice

I completely agree, but most people think as fish a disposable, and not like pets. If I lost my breeding pair of angels I'd be devastated.

I wouldn't take your job for all the world!
At least you seem to have a clue and are TRYING to help people, I applaud that!

I use to work at a small mom and pop pet store and people will think what they think. Some people are great and listen but a lot of them just want to get a tank and stock it with fish right away. Others think they know a ton more than you when they don't and act like know it alls.
It's hard to keep telling people no because it will drive customers away and they will get a yes somewhere else. But you're doing your best.

I completely agree, but most people think as fish a disposable, and not like pets. If I lost my breeding pair of angels I'd be devastated.

OH SWEET DIETY, dont get me started on angelfish! Everyone and their second cousin twice removed wants some of this liiiiitle bitty fish for their 5 gallon :facepalm:

I know they think the fish will stop growing when the tank is to small, which it actually does but it's organs continue to grow causing death.

I use to work at a small mom and pop pet store and people will think what they think. Some people are great and listen but a lot of them just want to get a tank and stock it with fish right away. Others think they know a ton more than you when they don't and act like know it alls.
It's hard to keep telling people no because it will drive customers away and they will get a yes somewhere else. But you're doing your best.

thank you :flowers: I try to keep a balance. Working there, it's a lovely opportunity to meet people just starting with fish who truly want some advice from someone with a face (forums are bit impersonal). Sometimes though, its frustrating when your bagging a fish going "goodbye lil guy....and I'm sorry".

I wouldn't take your job for all the world!
At least you seem to have a clue and are TRYING to help people, I applaud that!

Haha, yeah "having a clue" is about all i can say for myself :ROFLMAO: ....hence why i'm here, trying to get more knowledge and do my best :) Thanks everyone!

I was at my LFS the other day (not big box) and there was a lady there talking about her black ghost knife in a 30 gallon. She was asking the smartest employee if some other fish (can't recall what) would be ok in there.
She walked off after talking to him and I was like... "a ghost knife in a 30?"
He just leaned into me and said low, "This lady never listens to anything I say. I tell her something and she does the opposite. I just gave up."

There was no real point to my story, other than I feel for you guys dealing with stubborn customers.

thank you :flowers: I try to keep a balance. Working there, it's a lovely opportunity to meet people just starting with fish who truly want some advice from someone with a face (forums are bit impersonal). Sometimes though, its frustrating when your bagging a fish going "goodbye lil guy....and I'm sorry".

Yes it is a tough job because the customer is not always right. I would get the regulars who would always chat with me and talk fish but then I'd get the jerks who know everything or don't want to listen and will tell you everything wrong with what you're doing. Or how their 29 is fine for a blood parrot, jack Dempsey, large convict and flower horn....

While I love the Glofish themselves, the company that sells products for them is one of the worst offenders at misleading marketing... It's so frustrating seeing all these "Glofish" kits in the tiny range, but they wouldn't keep making them if it wasn't for people that keep buying them against the recommendations of the employees... The customers tend to only listen to what they want to hear. The company is capitalizing on people's stupidity instead of letting it go to waste. Yay capitalism?

Btw, one way you might be able to deter the people going for the tiny glofish tanks is to show them what a proper sized setup can look like for them. They really look fantastic and eye catching, much moreso than the itty bitty tanks that aren't suited to them. I've got a pic of my 36 gallon bowfront Glofish setup floating around here that I can dig up if you need it :)

Btw, one way you might be able to deter the people going for the tiny glofish tanks is to show them what a proper sized setup can look like for them. They really look fantastic and eye catching, much moreso than the itty bitty tanks that aren't suited to them. I've got a pic of my 36 gallon bowfront Glofish setup floating around here that I can dig up if you need it :)

Yes, that's a great idea and I'd love to have a reference! Right now, I have convinced a few people that a better idea is to buy a Betta for their itty bitty glo tanks. We keep the Goldskirt Tetras in a tank with the purple Glo Tetras, and they end up a really pretty pearly purple under the lights. I've sold a few of the white bettas that no one seems to want otherwise this way :)

Do you think the light affects the fish aversely in any way? Also, I feel like the glo tanks at work always have more algae in them....thoughts?

Yes it shows like 30 swordtails in the 10 gallo. Tanks

haha, I told someone who was tank shopping last night to take the pictures of the stocked tanks and cut the number fish in half AT LEAST for more realistic expectations.

We have several fish magazines for sale at the store that picture more realistic tanks.....like a beautiful 5 gal. with pretty silk plants and three spotted male guppies. I'm thinking of bringing a binder with more realistic tanks....not every customer will want to look, but for the people who come in who really want guidance, it could help them "visualize" their tanks.

I've been offered a job at my LFS, I had to refuse even a management position, I have enough of educating my family.. So sad for the fishies :-(

I'd get the jerks who know everything or don't want to listen and will tell you everything wrong with what you're doing. Or how their 29 is fine for a blood parrot, jack Dempsey, large convict and flower horn....

Cichlids are the worst for me! I have ZERO experience with them....got to visit more of the forums on them here. I hate when we have a "buy two fish, get the third one free" sale, because thats when people make really, really dumb cichlid decisions. Sure it's a deal when you get a $6+ fish for free, but if you're just getting it because you can, and had no plan going in.... *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom