Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Big Chain Pet Store Employee, Venting

Okay, soooo...I work in the small animal dept. at a chain pet store. I've had a betta for the past 4 years, and just started a 10 gal, so you KNOW i'm not an expert - but I DO know that "no, no sir.....you can not put this bala shark in a five gallon" and "no, you can not put this tiger oscar in with your gold fish" (and yes, these are things I have had to tell people).

I'm just INSANELY tired of people buying their children 3 gal. aquariums and wanting to keep 4 Glofish ("one of each color!"), and getting angry at me for telling them not to do it. Can we please start some sort of petition to those Glofish people to stop making anything smaller than a 10 gallon, when the fish they offer are danios and tetras???? I cant tell you how often I've had parents "sneak" in to buy a replacement fish, so their child can avoid the trauma of having to face the death of their pet

My store has a 2 week return policy. One thing we DO have the power to do, is void the warrantee on our fish - it does help a little. When I know someone is HORRIBLY overstocking their ciclid tank, I can tell them "I'm sorry ma'am, but if you insist on 100 inches of fish in a 50 gallon, I'm going to have to revoke the warrantee", then I go to the register and instruct them to write VOID on their receipt. It often makes them rethink their choices....but it only really works when i have the time to do it (we are not busy), and the fish selection is SO in-your-face bad that it's worth the risk of them complaining to the manager....I know the manager wont back us up on all things.

One last thing - I've had customers pull me aside and complain NASTILY about a co-worker when she told them the truth about their poor fish selection, looking for some sympathy from me......no. I usually get an earful about customer service....to which i respond that we ARE doing them a service by providing them with some good advice....it hasn't seemed to have calmed down a single person so far

So....just some love for my fellow fish store employees....we may not be experts for minimum wage, but seeing the people i do, I understand why so many customers get bad advice....it's hard to tell people the truth!

Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know where you work (in your profile) and I did as well. You have to tell them what the store wants you to tell them because otherwise you will get fired. I always recommended people to come to AA and seek out advice

Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I completely agree, but most people think as fish a disposable, and not like pets. If I lost my breeding pair of angels I'd be devastated.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't take your job for all the world!
At least you seem to have a clue and are TRYING to help people, I applaud that!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I use to work at a small mom and pop pet store and people will think what they think. Some people are great and listen but a lot of them just want to get a tank and stock it with fish right away. Others think they know a ton more than you when they don't and act like know it alls.
It's hard to keep telling people no because it will drive customers away and they will get a yes somewhere else. But you're doing your best.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
I completely agree, but most people think as fish a disposable, and not like pets. If I lost my breeding pair of angels I'd be devastated.
OH SWEET DIETY, dont get me started on angelfish! Everyone and their second cousin twice removed wants some of this liiiiitle bitty fish for their 5 gallon
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know they think the fish will stop growing when the tank is to small, which it actually does but it's organs continue to grow causing death.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I use to work at a small mom and pop pet store and people will think what they think. Some people are great and listen but a lot of them just want to get a tank and stock it with fish right away. Others think they know a ton more than you when they don't and act like know it alls.
It's hard to keep telling people no because it will drive customers away and they will get a yes somewhere else. But you're doing your best.
thank you I try to keep a balance. Working there, it's a lovely opportunity to meet people just starting with fish who truly want some advice from someone with a face (forums are bit impersonal). Sometimes though, its frustrating when your bagging a fish going "goodbye lil guy....and I'm sorry".
Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
I wouldn't take your job for all the world!
At least you seem to have a clue and are TRYING to help people, I applaud that!
Haha, yeah "having a clue" is about all i can say for myself ....hence why i'm here, trying to get more knowledge and do my best Thanks everyone!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was at my LFS the other day (not big box) and there was a lady there talking about her black ghost knife in a 30 gallon. She was asking the smartest employee if some other fish (can't recall what) would be ok in there.
She walked off after talking to him and I was like... "a ghost knife in a 30?"
He just leaned into me and said low, "This lady never listens to anything I say. I tell her something and she does the opposite. I just gave up."

There was no real point to my story, other than I feel for you guys dealing with stubborn customers.

Tags
big, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com