Big chain store people…just why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my mom wants to set up a small tank for her bedroom so naturally I went along to help her get fish. So she's asking questions and a woman comes and asks me about the balla Sharks they have so I gave her the basics about them and she asked if they could go in a 2.5 with glow light tetras. So I give her the reasons why that won't work due to size and it'll probably eat the tetras once it's older. She ended up with 10 glow lights and 4 balla Sharks for a 10g tank. Why do people not care about the lives and wellness of fish?

Keep calm and drum on

So my mom wants to set up a small tank for her bedroom so naturally I went along to help her get fish. So she's asking questions and a woman comes and asks me about the balla Sharks they have so I gave her the basics about them and she asked if they could go in a 2.5 with glow light tetras. So I give her the reasons why that won't work due to size and it'll probably eat the tetras once it's older. She ended up with 10 glow lights and 4 balla Sharks for a 10g tank. Why do people not care about the lives and wellness of fish?

Keep calm and drum on

It's not all of them. Please remember there's real people and that "chain store employees" aren't some sort of homogenous species. My wife works at a store and can tell you all kinds of stories of giving great fish advice to people buying aquarium stuff coming through her register. She cares very deeply about the lives and wellness of fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know some of those stores still have fish. Same as the chain pet stores though, both good and bad employees.

Big chain store people…just why

2 of my local big box stores still sell fish....

IMO they shouldn't even sell livestock only supplies...

Like said above it just depends on location, there are good employees and there are bad employees.

Caleb

Last edited:
My wife's store doesn't even sell fish, she just casually makes conversation when people come through her line with fish supplies and surreptitiously lets them know how to fix problems and if they're wasting their money (ie buying filter cartridges to change every week)

The sad part was it wasn't an employee. She didn't want to sell the fish because she heard what was going to happen to them

Keep calm and drum on

We get it here in the UK I've been browsing in a very well known pet chain and heard a staff member ask someone how big is your tank and for them to reply 100L and then answer yes it's fine to have a couple of clown Loach and some angel fish !!

I can't help myself but chip in and explain just how big those fish will actually get and in a 100L tank they will suffer the staff member was not ammused but I didn't care.

It is truly shocking but sadly it boils down to lack of training and no knowledge in most cases and the fact they have sales targets to reach

Back
Top Bottom