Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Big problem.

Well i started college about a month ago and i'm already failing 2 classes. I spoke with 2 of my instructors and reccommeded tutoring. I thought about it , but my problem is when i learn something new it doesn't seem to stick in my head for more than a day. I practically almost forget everything the next day. Anybody know anyway i can improve my grade?

Old 09-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Use the services of a tutor or academic center. The only way the information will stick into your head is with repitition. The average person retains 7% of everything they see or hear for the first time. Another way to retain information is be forming a study group and each person explains part of the system to each other. After taking biology for years, I really didn't get it until I started teaching a freshman bio lab. It will take hard work, but you can do it.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Menagerie is right, but as a parent..let me say that your statement is flawed. If you made it through grade school, middle school and high school and got accepted to college....you can retain information. Party less...study more and take advantage of any tutoring you can

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 09-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah, i'm actually surprised i made it through that fine 8O . My biggest problems right now is the math and biology.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Party less...
That's funny. I was going to say something like it (jokingly, well, mostly jokingly), but a little more directed at short term memory...
Old 09-30-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Are you getting enough sleep? If not that could be part of your problem.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah i get enough sleep. It's just so hard remembering everything for ever class.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Studying alot right before the class helps me.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I know this may sound dumb, but are you organized? An organized study area, consistent study time and a day planner make the whole "job" of studying much less taxing. Try to set aside the same time each night/day for studying, your mind will be more focused than if you just were to grab a book and read a page or two..repeat process, whenever friends weren't about and you had nothing better to do.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with Hara. College is as much a course in time management as it is anything else.

As you now know, college is a bit different than high school. Whatever study habits worked for you then may not be as effective now. I would definitely speak to someone in academic guidance. Your problem may be that you're not studying effectively or efficiently. They will be able to offer lots of helpful tips.

I find that I need to write something down in order to really remember it. This worked well for me through HS, college, and grad school. I took very thorough class notes and studied by rewriting them. Basically, I made notes of my notes. This is what worked best for me - you need to find YOUR study gimmick. It's still early in the semester, so no need to panic. Good luck!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com