BIG Snake Pic from Iraq...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up with a pet boa constrictor (named 'Shazbat' :D - he got about 7' long before we had to sell 'im, he outgrew his tank and we had a newborn in the house :!:) and that pic makes me nervous. :p

Yeah, I'm a big herp person...Right now I've got a baby ringneck snake, and a bunch of lizards. 0X

cJw said:
I grew up with a pet boa constrictor (named 'Shazbat' :D - he got about 7' long before we had to sell 'im, he outgrew his tank and we had a newborn in the house :!:) and that pic makes me nervous. :p

Actually, only one ever real injury to a baby by a boa...and it was accidental when an escaped snake (blame the parents as irresponsible keepers) curled-up on an infant in a crib to keep warm and incidentally smothered the baby.

Toirtis said:
Wait until you are where I am (or worse) with 110+ herps in your home. :lol:

Been there and then some Toirtis. I really miss them too. :( I envy you.

Africans are nasty. But, I think they are beautiful. Honestly, I've only ever seen one in person outside of zoos and that was a buddy's snake. They are super strong. His had gotten out and had a 800 dollar parrot snack (african grey). Never seen the snake after that and was afraid to ask what happened to it. :|

Toirtis said:
cJw said:

Actually, only one ever real injury to a baby by a boa...and it was accidental when an escaped snake (blame the parents as irresponsible keepers) curled-up on an infant in a crib to keep warm and incidentally smothered the baby.

So you're saying a 7' boa wouldn't eat a newborn human? I'd think it would, given the right circumstances.

I also suspect that the only reason the above is the only 'real' injury is because that probably happened in an urban area. I'd bet many less 'developed' areas have had more casualties from a similar situation. Would I lose that bet? :p

I sure wish I had some of the pics we have of that snake. Maybe someday my dad will get up to date and get a real scanner instead of taking pics w/ his digicam instead. :roll:

Since this thread has been revived...the other night I had a nightmare and the picture of the snake's mouth with all those teeth figured prominently in my nightmare. Scary creature!!!!!

cJw said:
So you're saying a 7' boa wouldn't eat a newborn human? I'd think it would, given the right circumstances.

A 7' boa would be physically incapable of eating a newborn baby....a baby human, even a small one (assume 5 pounds), is very structurally different from say, a rabbit of similar mass...the boa simply could not swallow it. Now, a 14' Burmese python very possibly could...if the baby were only 5-6 pounds.

I also suspect that the only reason the above is the only 'real' injury is because that probably happened in an urban area. I'd bet many less 'developed' areas have had more casualties from a similar situation. Would I lose that bet? :p

You would. Although there are multiple confirmed incidents of large Boids (not including Boa constrictor ssp.) killing both children and adults in 'wild' settings, only a couple of cases of humans being actually swallowed by snakes (and very large ones indeed...24'+) have ever been confirmed, and in each case, the victim was between the ages of 8-30 (in the case of the adults, all were SE Asians with small body-structure). The main culprits in human fatalities from large constrictors are reticulated pythons (max. length of 32+'), Burmese pythons (max approx 26'), African/Indian rock pythons (max approx 24'-26'), and green anacondas (max 22'-24')....Boa constrictor ssp. are just too small, and too well-mannered.

I sure wish I had some of the pics we have of that snake. Maybe someday my dad will get up to date and get a real scanner instead of taking pics w/ his digicam instead. :roll:

That is unfortunate. Here is a photo of myself a few years ago with an 8½', 20 year-old female I owned.

Attachments

• ga01.jpg
    ga01.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom