Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
I am NOT a snake lover and that freaks me out! LOOK AT TEETH!! Good grief, that thing could swallow three of my kids in a row!!

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
Old 07-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #22
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I grew up with a pet boa constrictor (named 'Shazbat' - he got about 7' long before we had to sell 'im, he outgrew his tank and we had a newborn in the house ) and that pic makes me nervous. :p

6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I'm a big herp person...Right now I've got a baby ringneck snake, and a bunch of lizards.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:38 PM   #24
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cJw
I grew up with a pet boa constrictor (named 'Shazbat' - he got about 7' long before we had to sell 'im, he outgrew his tank and we had a newborn in the house ) and that pic makes me nervous. :p
Actually, only one ever real injury to a baby by a boa...and it was accidental when an escaped snake (blame the parents as irresponsible keepers) curled-up on an infant in a crib to keep warm and incidentally smothered the baby.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 07-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #25
God of primitive fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
Yeah, I'm a big herp person...Right now I've got a baby ringneck snake, and a bunch of lizards.
Wait until you are where I am (or worse) with 110+ herps in your home.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
Wait until you are where I am (or worse) with 110+ herps in your home.
Been there and then some Toirtis. I really miss them too. I envy you.

Africans are nasty. But, I think they are beautiful. Honestly, I've only ever seen one in person outside of zoos and that was a buddy's snake. They are super strong. His had gotten out and had a 800 dollar parrot snack (african grey). Never seen the snake after that and was afraid to ask what happened to it. :|
Old 08-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #27
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cJw
Actually, only one ever real injury to a baby by a boa...and it was accidental when an escaped snake (blame the parents as irresponsible keepers) curled-up on an infant in a crib to keep warm and incidentally smothered the baby.
So you're saying a 7' boa wouldn't eat a newborn human? I'd think it would, given the right circumstances.

I also suspect that the only reason the above is the only 'real' injury is because that probably happened in an urban area. I'd bet many less 'developed' areas have had more casualties from a similar situation. Would I lose that bet? :p

I sure wish I had some of the pics we have of that snake. Maybe someday my dad will get up to date and get a real scanner instead of taking pics w/ his digicam instead.
6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since this thread has been revived...the other night I had a nightmare and the picture of the snake's mouth with all those teeth figured prominently in my nightmare. Scary creature!!!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #29
God of primitive fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cJw
So you're saying a 7' boa wouldn't eat a newborn human? I'd think it would, given the right circumstances.
A 7' boa would be physically incapable of eating a newborn baby....a baby human, even a small one (assume 5 pounds), is very structurally different from say, a rabbit of similar mass...the boa simply could not swallow it. Now, a 14' Burmese python very possibly could...if the baby were only 5-6 pounds.

Quote:
I also suspect that the only reason the above is the only 'real' injury is because that probably happened in an urban area. I'd bet many less 'developed' areas have had more casualties from a similar situation. Would I lose that bet? :p
You would. Although there are multiple confirmed incidents of large Boids (not including Boa constrictor ssp.) killing both children and adults in 'wild' settings, only a couple of cases of humans being actually swallowed by snakes (and very large ones indeed...24'+) have ever been confirmed, and in each case, the victim was between the ages of 8-30 (in the case of the adults, all were SE Asians with small body-structure). The main culprits in human fatalities from large constrictors are reticulated pythons (max. length of 32+'), Burmese pythons (max approx 26'), African/Indian rock pythons (max approx 24'-26'), and green anacondas (max 22'-24')....Boa constrictor ssp. are just too small, and too well-mannered.

Quote:
I sure wish I had some of the pics we have of that snake. Maybe someday my dad will get up to date and get a real scanner instead of taking pics w/ his digicam instead.
That is unfortunate. Here is a photo of myself a few years ago with an 8½', 20 year-old female I owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ga01.jpg (12.1 KB, 95 views)

Closed Thread

Tags
pic, snake

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com