Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Biocubes?

Ok, someone please help me understand these biocubes please. I've seen them and they look pretty, but what causes then to stand out so much? I see a 29g biocube by oceanic or fluval, and it's like 480 bucks, but I say "hey, I can buy I 55g for half the price, have a larger tank and have better stocking options!" Is there something i'm missing? Does an aquatic mr. rogers magically enhance the life of fish in a biocube? Help me understand please

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail
Ok, someone please help me understand these biocubes please. I've seen them and they look pretty, but what causes then to stand out so much? I see a 29g biocube by oceanic or fluval, and it's like 480 bucks, but I say "hey, I can buy I 55g for half the price, have a larger tank and have better stocking options!" Is there something i'm missing? Does an aquatic mr. rogers magically enhance the life of fish in a biocube? Help me understand please
Basically a bio cube comes with almost everything you need to start. Depending on what corals and fish you wanna keep it will suit just fine. If you wanna expand your options there are upgrades to the bio cube you can do. Upgrade pump, upgrade lights, mod out the filtration system etc etc etc... I have a bio cube and just like the fact that it comes ready to rock and roll but when the dust settles I spent more on mods then if I bought a tank and added the equipment as I went.

Room was a MAJOR factor for me. It fits perfectly on the stock stand and looks awesome in the bedroom catty cornered so I'm happy. I guess it personal choice. MOST tend to modify the biocubes one way or another. It's up to you how far you wanna take it. Knock out the false floors. Add inTanks media rack, upgrade the skimmer, air line mods I can go on and on. Here's some pics and a video.

Attachment 95346

Attachment 95347

Attachment 95348

Attachment 95349

Attachment 95350

Attachment 95351

Attachment 95352

Attachment 95353

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome pictures. Are they primarily a sw thing then? Most of the kits I've found (eg Marineland 55g) are ready to go just don't have decorations and gravel. I'd like to get into sw one day, but it's much more expensive then fresh
Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail
Awesome pictures. Are they primarily a sw thing then? Most of the kits I've found (eg Marineland 55g) are ready to go just don't have decorations and gravel. I'd like to get into sw one day, but it's much more expensive then fresh
I've seen them used for freshwater but I believe there geared for freshwater. This was my first go at a saltwater tank so I felt more comfortable with a bio cube because if I wanted to keep it simple I didn't have to do anything to it. As I got more and more into it I just had to mod it out, and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your decision and remember do a lot of research and make the best choice for you and your goals as far as what you wanna keep in it. Plan it out. What fish, what corals you want and then see if the cube is right for you.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com