Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
bizarre fish parasite dream

A while back I saw a white spot on my betta, it later went away, didn't know what it was, thought it may have been ich or some tiny worm or something.

So for some reason early this morning before waking up, I had a dream that my tank was infested with parasites. First I saw one on my betta, then it was gone, then I saw it again days later, and then it disappeared again, then suddenly there were more. It was like a population explosion. I thought Oh my God, I've been putting my hands in there. And wondered if they had "got me". I should have gotten those gloves at BigAls.

One of them was swimming around, it was an erie white color and about an inch long. I was scared to look at it, but I did so I could identify it on the net and know which medication to use. I was worried too because I didn't want to kill my ghost shrimp with the medication, but was afraid if I took it out somehow it would harbor the parasite and when I returned it to the tank the tank would become reinfested.

What is weirder is this huge parasite looked kinda like a suckermouth catfish, but maybe kinda fetal. It had this really wide mouth surrounded with long, flowing tentacles, sorta reminded me of jellyfish. The mouth kinda pulsated like one too. Its eyes were closed, sort of like it hadn't fully developed yet. I don't think it had any fins or tail. And it was pure glowing white.

I looked around the tank to see what it would do, but it only swam, so I began to wonder if it really was a parasite. But then I saw much smaller ones on my two clown loaches (which I don't have in real life). It was weird, the loaches kinda had a fuzzy enlarged appearance like I was looking at them under magnifying glass. They were good sized clown loaches. For some reason the white stood out on their orange color, so I could see the parasites really well on the loaches, wheras I couldn't see them on the other fish, because they were too dark (go figure).

One of the larger parasites was hopping around like an oto sucking the clown loaches slime coat. It reminded me of the tales I heard about "attack otos". But the clown loach didn't seem bothered or injured by it at all, although I was worried it was bad for him. I nearly hit the tank to get it to stop, but didn't know if that would do anything and I didn't want to spook the fish and make them hide. There were also smaller parasites that seemed like they were riding around on the loaches like ramoras, and even smaller ones that stayed still in one place. I didn't know if they were travelling or sucking blood.

I kinda wonder if the large "parasite" exists as some sort of real creature. It really looked familiar. But it sounds way too fantastic. I remember another weird dream I saw a huge beautful jellyfish that I wanted to go touch, but for some reason I felt it was dangerous. For some reason I was in a bookstore later on and looked it up. It turned out it was a lions mane jellyfish - I hadn't even know those existed.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Just put your hand in the fish tank...join us

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
What you are thinking of lives at the bottom of the ocean, can't remember the name. It is basically a sausage with a large circular mouth and a bunch of teeth.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Could you be describing a lamprey or hagfish, RogerMcAllen??

Aquarist since 1964
Old 04-08-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yep, laprey.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Eww. Hagfish. They just got some in at the Maritime Aquarium where I'll be volunteering. I won't be working in that area LOL nasty icky slimy things.
aka Cycling Guru and the Ich Slayer

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
smilla, you need to relax!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com