Black Moor - can't tell if has ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel721

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

My black moor - currently 2 years old has been put in a new tank about two weeks ago, bought second hand with filters so can't tell if ich was present beforehand. Noticed some small dots but can't tell if these are an issue. He isn't acting unusual.

Advise would be great.

Thanks,
Rachel

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 119
This can be very helpful.
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

Matching (symmetrical) dots on both sides of the body are indicative of the fish scales, and lateral line. Possibly an old would would have a light or whiter appearance but not likely like sprinkling of salt grains.

Ich would present itself in ramdom dots and pattern anywhere on the fish's body.

I do see the salt sprinkles on your moores scales..
I would get on to treating before it becomes a stronger infestation.
The ones closest to the gills are how and often where it starts.
Ich like many parasites starts and hides very well in the gills where they get plenty of 02 they rob from the fish...

Rac...

Keeping the tank water cleaner is the best means of dealing with a parasite, if this is really what you have. Gradually increase the water changes to half the tank's volume twice weekly and add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. When you do a water change, do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. These steps ease the stress on the fish, creates an environment that will retard the growth of new parasites and by vacuuming the bottom material, you remove some. You can follow these steps indefinitely if you like.

B

Back
Top Bottom