Blue vs. Pink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am really hoping to breed red/pink ramshorn snails and was curious as to if the blue ones are even more sought after (in that case I might breed blue ramshorns instead, however I love the coloring on both). I know both are rare in the hobby and unfortunately I can't breed both since I only want to have one tank dedicated to this (its an already cycled and mature ten gallon that I will be using for this).

Here we go! Let this mini poll begin! In your post just say either blue or pink. However if you would like to elaborate your opinion or give friendly advice that's cool too!

Here Is a blue ramshorn:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425175373.428957.jpg

Here's a pink one:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425175445.665875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ah decisions..decisions...does anyone know if the pink or blue live longer than the other? Also has anyone ever ordered from Alpha Pro Breeders? That's where I am ordering them from.

Apparently the blues are a hit or miss. They aren't very reliable when breeding. Only 90% bred turn blue. Pinks are about 99.99% according to google. If I were to breed pinks would any of you be interested in buying some?

I say blue anyway! That just makes them all the more rare and valuable!

Fishobsessed7

How do I keep them from crawling out of a rimless tank? My ten gallon is not made to be rimless but I turned it into one so....yeah...that's going to be challenge. Is there any way to keep them in? I got some weird looking leopard pattern snails for my dad's tank and the guy gave me a lot more than I needed. I would release them into my pond but I think they are invasive...

I did both of those things and seems to be working for now. i feared over stocking so i made a mini tank from a wide vase to split up the population. They look sort of like baby apple snails but they have a weird marbled brown color....sort of like stripes AND dots. I'm still getting the ramshorns but I thought I might as well get my parents into the hobby so they will get me more stuff (wink). ;)

I did both of those things and seems to be working for now. i feared over stocking so i made a mini tank from a wide vase to split up the population. They look sort of like baby apple snails but they have a weird marbled brown color....sort of like stripes AND dots. I'm still getting the ramshorns but I thought I might as well get my parents into the hobby so they will get me more stuff (wink). ;)

Good plan! lol

Maybe a leopard tiger mix ( just kidding and made that up, though there really are Leopards)

Make sure that if you get the pinks/reds you know they are more fragile and I haven't ever had them live as long as the plain ones, though I had some blue ones also don't get as many, live for ever! 2-3 years, I called the one Grandpa because he was the oldest father of the fathers!

There are different body shell combinations of pinks and gold shell pink body, etc.

Don't let there ever be a variant color in with the pinks/reds because it can mess up the lines!

I think my signature has one of my favorite pics in it still!!!

Edit, forgot...both colors in separate tanks! Reds (or pink)!

Last edited:
Ok thanks! Lol parents killed their snails after just a few days... figures.

I think I'm going to go with blue after all. Can I keep other species with them or will they breed?

Back
Top Bottom