Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Do you often find yourself bored with your tank(s)?
I've noticed with my recent issues of mass molly juvie deaths, and losing a couple other fish to various things, battling high nitrate levels with back to back gigantic water changes and finally managing to get them down to 10 ppm, starting a tank fresh & new again, witnessing a wonderful batch of platy fry be born yesterday, and then today doing large PWC's on 3 of my 4 aquariums I find myself slightly bored/burned out/frustrated... Although things have finally mostly settled down I'm just EH... tired maybe.

Do you guys experience this often? Does it happen to everyone occasionally? I've only been in this hobby with aquariums 5 mths... although I've done it wrong in the past before I came in here and my betta who is in my 29g I've had 7 mths.

My tanks:

29g-
5 female mollies
1 female betta
2 Otos

20g L-
2 platies

10g-
Newborn fry tank... 20-30 fry

10g-
Molly juvie QT ... 7 1" Juvie's --- reduced from 80 that were in another tank... Mysterious deaths... I have a thread on it called: Mollies Dying?

1g Container with 24 platy fry born yesterday... Temporary for a couple weeks then moving to Newborn Fry Tank..
__________________

__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: berkshire, england
Posts: 83
you're brave? arnt you? 4 tanks in less than half a year! anyway to your Q yes we all do get that way its more coomon for people with more tanks though i once had 5 tanks running so nearly everyday i was doing a pwc and so fourth so i decided to go down to 2 tanks then i had none now im back to 1 second tank and last one (hopfully) will be 155g so only 2 or may get rid of the other so only one to contend with but it is still addictive
__________________

__________________
keenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenfish
you're brave? arnt you? 4 tanks in less than half a year! anyway to your Q yes we all do get that way its more coomon for people with more tanks though i once had 5 tanks running so nearly everyday i was doing a pwc and so fourth so i decided to go down to 2 tanks then i had none now im back to 1 second tank and last one (hopfully) will be 155g so only 2 or may get rid of the other so only one to contend with but it is still addictive
Sigh... I started out with an overstocked 10g on Sept 5th ... Found AA on Sept 9th and fixed that little problem... My Molly had babies so I got another 10g for her to birth in and kept it as a fry tank. I made the mistake of thinking I had to separate males and females so I got a new 20g L on Craigslist for $20 end of September. Realized I didn't need to separate fry as they grew up cause they would just get pregnant at the LFS I sold them to or at their new home anyway, so Molly fry got a big upgrade to 20g... Within a couple days my other half called me in the middle of te day and said, "Come to my work and pick up $40 and go see this guy.. He has a 29g tank with a filter, filter pads, hood, light, extra light, and colosseum decoration. He knows you're coming."

Soooo all within my first 30 Days ...

The original 10g tank got moved to my new 29g, the 20g had Molly Juvie's in it, I had a female awaiting birth in the other 10g, and then had the extra 10g... A few days later I discovered CAMALLANUS in my big tank and treated everyone in it, the one who had actual worms sticking out went in the empty 10g and got his own treatment.
It was about then that I realized 6-7 wk old mollies will attack and eat/kill newborns so... The 10g newborn tank was permanent...

:-0

Whirlwind few months...
In the last 5 mths I've experienced Camallanus, Dropsy, Heater Malfunction resulting in tank death, rehoming fish due to incompatibility, 9 batches of healthy fry born & saved, 4-5 missed batches born an eaten, a fish jumping out & meeting my dog & surviving without injury, euthanasia... You name it
The day I sold a batch of 25 mollies to LFS I had 44 born that night! HAH!!

I LOVE my fish and I'm grateful it seems to be settling down. Worn out and hoping the tidal wave is becoming still...
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
Wow! After all the excitement in such a short time span I wouldn't be surprised if now that the cull has come you weren't a little "bored." I think perhaps you're confusing boredom with relaxing. Now you have time to just sit back and enjoy and it sounds like you don't know what to do with yourself now? Lol!
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani
Wow! After all the excitement in such a short time span I wouldn't be surprised if now that the cull has come you weren't a little "bored." I think perhaps you're confusing boredom with relaxing. Now you have time to just sit back and enjoy and it sounds like you don't know what to do with yourself now? Lol!
Heehee.. Well a 6 yr old son and 3 Min Pins keep me a bit busy!
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
Lol! I guess they would
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
I had experienced small moments where I felt like this fish tank thing is something I should drop. Reason being more due to money than anything. But. the worst for me was when I lost a glass catfish I had been trying to cure for a long time. I was so sad that I was ready to throw the towel in because I didn't want to go through all the medicating and attentiveness just to lose another.

We got our first fish tank September 25. A 30 gallon with fish. Then 2 weeks later we got a 20 gallon with fish. Then in December a woman gave us 3 betta bowls each with one betta. Then we aquired a 75 gallon, 88 gallon and 180 gallon. Non of which have been set up yet. I'm doing lots of research first so I do everything right and hopefully I won't get bored after I have spent all the bucks LOL! I just want to be sure that these water changes every 2 days for all the tanks won't leave me disgruntled about having fish before I add more.

I do hate betta bowls though!!! If that's all I had I would be out of the hobby for sure!

Just step back, and relax. Let yourself enjoy your fish without any problems and you might find you love them again
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish
I had experienced small moments where I felt like this fish tank thing is something I should drop. Reason being more due to money than anything. But. the worst for me was when I lost a glass catfish I had been trying to cure for a long time. I was so sad that I was ready to throw the towel in because I didn't want to go through all the medicating and attentiveness just to lose another.

We got our first fish tank September 25. A 30 gallon with fish. Then 2 weeks later we got a 20 gallon with fish. Then in December a woman gave us 3 betta bowls each with one betta. Then we aquired a 75 gallon, 88 gallon and 180 gallon. Non of which have been set up yet. I'm doing lots of research first so I do everything right and hopefully I won't get bored after I have spent all the bucks LOL! I just want to be sure that these water changes every 2 days for all the tanks won't leave me disgruntled about having fish before I add more.

I do hate betta bowls though!!! If that's all I had I would be out of the hobby for sure!

Just step back, and relax. Let yourself enjoy your fish without any problems and you might find you love them again
Wow... You went on a collecting spree

I do love them... Everyone settling down and being healthy would be a great thing... Check out my thread: " Mollies Dying? " and you will see a bit of the frustration... Just flabbergasting..
With the exception of my QT with the remaining sick Molly Juvie's, the fish in the other tanks all appear healthy, happy and quite eager for my attention.
The babies sure do make me smile they're so much fun... It was such a sudden hard hit in such a brief amount of time I was left feeling discouraged a bit...


You know.... I'm not sure who's happier to see me in the morning-- the dogs or the fish... My adults (fish) fly to the front of the tank glass as soon as they see me approaching the tank from across the room. And the dogs, well one of them crawls up onto my chest and stares at me 2" from my face until I give in and get out of bed..
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
Wow... You went on a collecting spree

I do love them... Everyone settling down and being healthy would be a great thing... Check out my thread: " Mollies Dying? " and you will see a bit of the frustration... Just flabbergasting..
With the exception of my QT with the remaining sick Molly Juvie's, the fish in the other tanks all appear healthy, happy and quite eager for my attention.
The babies sure do make me smile they're so much fun... It was such a sudden hard hit in such a brief amount of time I was left feeling discouraged a bit...


You know.... I'm not sure who's happier to see me in the morning-- the dogs or the fish... My adults (fish) fly to the front of the tank glass as soon as they see me approaching the tank from across the room. And the dogs, well one of them crawls up onto my chest and stares at me 2" from my face until I give in and get out of bed..
I will check out your Mollies dying thread. So sorry to hear about the troubles I really did jump into the mad house with colecting fish tanks! Craigslist is the best for doing that Far as the pets go?? My two big dogs fight to squeeze themselves in my view of the fish tank every morning and the cats jump up on my lap and rub their faces in my face...I start "shooing" them away so I can get my fish-time in. For me, the fish calm me, and set my day right. The dogs and cats are too much like work LOL! I love them dearly, but the fish are defientely my "relaxer".
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
I am OFFICIALLY down to 3 tanks!! Whoo hoo!!

29g:

6 mollies
2 platies
1 betta
2 Otos


20g:

17 juvie mollies (11 wks old)


10g:

14 Platy fry
1 surprise Valentines Day Molly fry
3 ghost shrimp -- do very good job of eating left over food from babies daily multiple feedings


Extra 10g in closet!!!
__________________

__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
amazing tanks and creative ideas ? Andjak Show Off/Photography 8 02-01-2012 10:16 AM
New 20 and 30g salt water tanks Travisjohn Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 7 10-01-2011 03:48 AM
2 empty tanks, 2 stocked tanks! gabysapha Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 09-26-2011 10:47 AM
Green algae on sand substrate, lightly planted tanks LyndaB Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 08-25-2011 11:43 PM
A primer on un-filtered aquariums BlackMagic Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 08-07-2011 08:25 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.