Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Boston vs New York Aquarium

Has anyone been to New York Aquarium - or even better to Boston and New York Aquarium? The wife and I are heading to NY for the week, and we were thinking of stopping into the NY Aquarium, but we go to the Boston Aquarium a couple times a year so if its not far different or better we might skip it and use our time elsewhere since it's way out near Coney Island.

Thanks.

- Skins

Old 08-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

GO YANKEES!!!!!!

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sure. I hate baseball with the fire of a thousand suns. I'm a football and hockey guy (and NOT a Patriots fan by the way).
Old 08-22-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The NY Aquarium is very good. Not on the level of the new ones sprouting up around the country (this one is over 40 years old). IMO, it's worth the trip.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been to both aquariums. In a direct comparison, I think the NE Aquarium comes out on top. However, the NY Aquarium is well worth a visit.

http://nyaquarium.com/nyahome?preview=&psid=&ph=

The NY-Coney Island aquarium currently has a rather large exhibit entitled "Alien Stingers" It is one of the few permanent displays of jellyfish in the US - something you may not have at NE Aquarium. For me, this exhibit alone was worth the trip and admission price. I was also very impressed with the seahorse, octopus, and nautilus exhibits. If you like penguins and sea lions, there is a large Pacific sea cliff exhibit with scheduled feedings.

Coney Island itself is a rare gem of Americana and an interesting part of the New York experience. The boardwalk has cool breezes, street performers, ice cream cones, and Nathans hotdogs. There's also the amusement parks, penny arcades, and a turn-of-the-century hand carved carousel that the city recently saved from demolition.

A pic of a jellyfish. The pic doesn't do it justice. It was amazing to see it pulsating and changing color in person!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jelly_707.jpg (14.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 08-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just got back from New York - we did visit the NY Aquarium, and I have to say the New England Aquarium is much better. NY Aquarium had some nice displays, especially dug the shark and whale displays - which the NE Aquarium doesn't have. But, the biggest thing for me was that the water in almost every exhibit was filthy. The NE Aquarium tanks are so crystal clear. The reef exhibit in NY was gross - murky green with debris floating everywhere. Not impressed.

Anyway, just thought I'd give a quick review. NY Aquarium was cool, but I find New England to be much, much better.

- Skins
Old 08-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Really? I'm really sorry to hear that you made the trip and the Aquarium wasn't up to snuff.

I haven't been to the Aquarium since last year and at that time, everything was spotless.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
Maybe their only maintenance guy fell asleep in the shark tank 8O

65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com