Boston vs New York Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone been to New York Aquarium - or even better to Boston and New York Aquarium? The wife and I are heading to NY for the week, and we were thinking of stopping into the NY Aquarium, but we go to the Boston Aquarium a couple times a year so if its not far different or better we might skip it and use our time elsewhere since it's way out near Coney Island.

Thanks.

- Skins

Sure. I hate baseball with the fire of a thousand suns. I'm a football and hockey guy (and NOT a Patriots fan by the way).

I've been to both aquariums. In a direct comparison, I think the NE Aquarium comes out on top. However, the NY Aquarium is well worth a visit.

http://nyaquarium.com/nyahome?preview=&psid=&ph=

The NY-Coney Island aquarium currently has a rather large exhibit entitled "Alien Stingers" It is one of the few permanent displays of jellyfish in the US - something you may not have at NE Aquarium. For me, this exhibit alone was worth the trip and admission price. I was also very impressed with the seahorse, octopus, and nautilus exhibits. If you like penguins and sea lions, there is a large Pacific sea cliff exhibit with scheduled feedings.

Coney Island itself is a rare gem of Americana and an interesting part of the New York experience. The boardwalk has cool breezes, street performers, ice cream cones, and Nathans hotdogs. There's also the amusement parks, penny arcades, and a turn-of-the-century hand carved carousel that the city recently saved from demolition.

A pic of a jellyfish. The pic doesn't do it justice. It was amazing to see it pulsating and changing color in person!

Attachments

• jelly_707.jpg
    jelly_707.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 161
Just got back from New York - we did visit the NY Aquarium, and I have to say the New England Aquarium is much better. NY Aquarium had some nice displays, especially dug the shark and whale displays - which the NE Aquarium doesn't have. But, the biggest thing for me was that the water in almost every exhibit was filthy. The NE Aquarium tanks are so crystal clear. The reef exhibit in NY was gross - murky green with debris floating everywhere. Not impressed.

Anyway, just thought I'd give a quick review. NY Aquarium was cool, but I find New England to be much, much better.

- Skins

Really? I'm really sorry to hear that you made the trip and the Aquarium wasn't up to snuff.

I haven't been to the Aquarium since last year and at that time, everything was spotless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom