Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

brackish to salt???

so my friend has a 15g saltwater tank. she is overstocked with black clowns, a bicolor dottyback, etc., but the one thing that caught my attention was that she said she has a puffer. i didn't know of any puffers that could live in a tank so small so i typed up "dwarf saltwater puffer" on google images and she pointed out that it looked like a pea puffer or a green spotted puffer. so i told her those are brackish water fish and she told me this : " the fish store where i bought him said that they slowly added more and more saltwater to his tank until he became a saltwater fish." i didn't know if that was possible so im asking you guys: Can a brackish water fish become a saltwater fish?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalzrok2 View Post
Can a brackish water fish become a saltwater fish?
Yes, but it depends on the species fish. If you think about salmon they are anadromous. They are born in freshwater then head to the ocean to mature. Then back upriver to spawn in freshwater.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so can puffers?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know for sure Green spotted P's like full saltwater when adults. Not sure about dwarf puffers, I am interested to know as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

According to this site they are fully freshy fish.

Carinotetraodon travancoricus - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

"One of the fully freshwater puffers, Dwarf puffers originate from slow moving streams of India in the Malabar region, hence one of the common names."

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums..../PeaPuffer.asp

"Dps are 100% fresh water fish, they do not require any salt, unlike some other fresh water puffers they do not require salt as they grow older, although they will tolerate small increases in salinity they are at optimum health in pure fresh water."
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

alright well i asked her what size and she said 1" and she bought it full grown so dwarf it is...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow poor DP... This is why you should never listen to what the LFS says..

Yes there are many fish that live in brackish water, but are better kept in saltwater tanks. The reason being brackish fish is too costly. Think about the cost of salt for weekly water changes. If you can get the fish into saltwater, then you can add live rocks, skimmers, refugiums, and lots of other stuff to delay water changes.

This only applies to high-end brackish fish (ie green spotted puffers, ceylon puffers, monos, scats, some eels, etc). Don't convert low-end brackish fish into full salt.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Wow poor DP... This is why you should never listen to what the LFS says..
and none of my friends listen to me about fish advice so i dont know what to do to help
Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its alright. You can offer advice and opinions, but its up to them if they want to take it or not. We can't force it upon them. My family also have puffers and do a lot of things that would be wrong in this hobby, but whatever..

Same thing applies to this forum.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance
Its alright. You can offer advice and opinions, but its up to them if they want to take it or not. We can't force it upon them. My family also have puffers and do a lot of things that would be wrong in this hobby, but whatever..

Same thing applies to this forum.
clearly fishnapping is in order go to your friends with ziplocks in your pockets lol jk

Tags
brackish, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com