brackish to salt???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so my friend has a 15g saltwater tank. she is overstocked with black clowns, a bicolor dottyback, etc., but the one thing that caught my attention was that she said she has a puffer. i didn't know of any puffers that could live in a tank so small so i typed up "dwarf saltwater puffer" on google images and she pointed out that it looked like a pea puffer or a green spotted puffer. so i told her those are brackish water fish and she told me this : " the fish store where i bought him said that they slowly added more and more saltwater to his tank until he became a saltwater fish." i didn't know if that was possible so im asking you guys: Can a brackish water fish become a saltwater fish?

Can a brackish water fish become a saltwater fish?

Yes, but it depends on the species fish. If you think about salmon they are anadromous. They are born in freshwater then head to the ocean to mature. Then back upriver to spawn in freshwater.

I know for sure Green spotted P's like full saltwater when adults. Not sure about dwarf puffers, I am interested to know as well.

According to this site they are fully freshy fish.

Carinotetraodon travancoricus - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

"One of the fully freshwater puffers, Dwarf puffers originate from slow moving streams of India in the Malabar region, hence one of the common names."

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Puffers/PeaPuffer.asp

"Dps are 100% fresh water fish, they do not require any salt, unlike some other fresh water puffers they do not require salt as they grow older, although they will tolerate small increases in salinity they are at optimum health in pure fresh water."

alright well i asked her what size and she said 1" and she bought it full grown so dwarf it is...

Wow poor DP... This is why you should never listen to what the LFS says..

Yes there are many fish that live in brackish water, but are better kept in saltwater tanks. The reason being brackish fish is too costly. Think about the cost of salt for weekly water changes. If you can get the fish into saltwater, then you can add live rocks, skimmers, refugiums, and lots of other stuff to delay water changes.

This only applies to high-end brackish fish (ie green spotted puffers, ceylon puffers, monos, scats, some eels, etc). Don't convert low-end brackish fish into full salt.

Its alright. You can offer advice and opinions, but its up to them if they want to take it or not. We can't force it upon them. My family also have puffers and do a lot of things that would be wrong in this hobby, but whatever..

Same thing applies to this forum.

Terrance said:
Its alright. You can offer advice and opinions, but its up to them if they want to take it or not. We can't force it upon them. My family also have puffers and do a lot of things that would be wrong in this hobby, but whatever..

Same thing applies to this forum.

clearly fishnapping is in order go to your friends with ziplocks in your pockets lol jk

Back
Top Bottom