Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
rsp
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Building a database

Hey folks

I'm new to the tropical fish world but I'm learning a lot on the forums here. You guys are awesome

One thing I'm trying to set up right now is a database for keeping tabs on water quality and other aquarium parameters. I haven't found much out there to do that, and I'm a web developer by day, so I'm actually going to make a site out of it.

Nothing fancy, just something really straightforward and simple.

Currently, for water quality, I'm tracking these parameters:
  • pH
  • Temp
  • Nitrite
  • Nitrate
  • Ammonia

What others would you like to see present in the list?

When I'm done creating the site I'll post it up and let anyone on aquariumadvice.com use it for free of course.

Thanks!

Rik.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
rsp

D'oh, I forgot to mention I'm also tracking:
  • Chlorine
  • KH
  • GH

Old 04-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That sounds very much like aquaplanner- aquaPlanner for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store#

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great idea!

I use an app on my Android that's called Freshwater Aquarium Log, but it's kinda funky. If anybody comes up with something better, I'd even pay for it (256 apps, all free) .
Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you put other logging elements in it, something to track when you put in lights and remind you of their ages, and the ability to track multiple tanks, which I understand isn't available. I currently use a notebook...heh
Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet
Great idea!

I use an app on my Android that's called Freshwater Aquarium Log, but it's kinda funky. If anybody comes up with something better, I'd even pay for it (256 apps, all free) .
Freshwater Aquarium Log?? Im gonna have to check it out, I have a droid phone also... Any other aquarium apps out there??
Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I've been trying to find something that would work on Droid that has some more functionality. I had an Access Database with a ASP link that I could post my readings from my phone into the Access Database at my home. It was quite handy as I could edit any fields and customize it for my needs. I unfortunately forgot to back it up when I reloaded my computer.

I've been thinking about recreating it and maybe even making it easy for others to integrate it. I think the access database/ASP link way is a lot easier because you can access the interface from any computer (or mobile device).
Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
rsp

Hey everyone,

Sure, I'll add a section where you can add aquarium equipment and their maintenance cycles etc.

I'm a Windows/Web developer by trade, so I'll first be making it available as a web site, then I'll make an app for Windows Phone 7 handsets. Then an API will follow, which means other developers can make an Android or iPhone app etc.

I'm actually not too far from being complete and ready to run so if you'd wanna be kept up to date and be one of the first to try it, can you send me a message via this forum and I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLiNy

Freshwater Aquarium Log?? Im gonna have to check it out, I have a droid phone also... Any other aquarium apps out there??
That's the only one I could find, please let know what you find.

RSP: The windows phone? Is that going to end up like MS's version of iPod? Android is a huge market (biggest/most popular actually) and needs a good app for MTS .

My Mac book pro, can run windows too, but I prefer a good Mac based program more.

Just my $.02
Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
rsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
RSP: The windows phone? Is that going to end up like MS's version of iPod? Android is a huge market (biggest/most popular actually) and needs a good app for MTS .
You're right, Android does currently have a larger market but I'm not looking to make this a commercial venture at this time. I simply want to create a utility that I love to use, and that others will hopefully love to use too.

Windows Phone 7 is making a lot of progress but it still doesn't enjoy the share that iPhone or Android does, to my knowledge.

The API will be open, so anyone with developer skills can write their own app. I'm just trained in Windows development, so making a Win App is ideal for me

Perhaps a mobile version of the site, though, might do in the interim? I'll guage demand based on people's responses here.

Thanks!

Tags
base, build, building

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com