Building a database

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks

I'm new to the tropical fish world but I'm learning a lot on the forums here. You guys are awesome :)

One thing I'm trying to set up right now is a database for keeping tabs on water quality and other aquarium parameters. I haven't found much out there to do that, and I'm a web developer by day, so I'm actually going to make a site out of it.

Nothing fancy, just something really straightforward and simple.

Currently, for water quality, I'm tracking these parameters:
  • pH
  • Temp
  • Nitrite
  • Nitrate
  • Ammonia

What others would you like to see present in the list?

When I'm done creating the site I'll post it up and let anyone on aquariumadvice.com use it for free of course.

Thanks!

Rik.

D'oh, I forgot to mention I'm also tracking:

• Chlorine
  • KH
  • GH

Great idea!

I use an app on my Android that's called Freshwater Aquarium Log, but it's kinda funky. If anybody comes up with something better, I'd even pay for it (256 apps, all free) :D.

If you put other logging elements in it, something to track when you put in lights and remind you of their ages, and the ability to track multiple tanks, which I understand isn't available. I currently use a notebook...heh

Mr. Limpet said:
Great idea!

I use an app on my Android that's called Freshwater Aquarium Log, but it's kinda funky. If anybody comes up with something better, I'd even pay for it (256 apps, all free) :D.

Freshwater Aquarium Log?? Im gonna have to check it out, I have a droid phone also... Any other aquarium apps out there??

I've been trying to find something that would work on Droid that has some more functionality. I had an Access Database with a ASP link that I could post my readings from my phone into the Access Database at my home. It was quite handy as I could edit any fields and customize it for my needs. I unfortunately forgot to back it up when I reloaded my computer.

I've been thinking about recreating it and maybe even making it easy for others to integrate it. I think the access database/ASP link way is a lot easier because you can access the interface from any computer (or mobile device).

Hey everyone,

Sure, I'll add a section where you can add aquarium equipment and their maintenance cycles etc.

I'm a Windows/Web developer by trade, so I'll first be making it available as a web site, then I'll make an app for Windows Phone 7 handsets. Then an API will follow, which means other developers can make an Android or iPhone app etc.

I'm actually not too far from being complete and ready to run so if you'd wanna be kept up to date and be one of the first to try it, can you send me a message via this forum and I'll let you know.

Thanks.

TommyLiNy said:
Freshwater Aquarium Log?? Im gonna have to check it out, I have a droid phone also... Any other aquarium apps out there??

That's the only one I could find, please let know what you find.

RSP: The windows phone? Is that going to end up like MS's version of iPod? Android is a huge market (biggest/most popular actually) and needs a good app for MTS :D.

My Mac book pro, can run windows too, but I prefer a good Mac based program more.

Just my $.02

RSP: The windows phone? Is that going to end up like MS's version of iPod? Android is a huge market (biggest/most popular actually) and needs a good app for MTS :D.

You're right, Android does currently have a larger market but I'm not looking to make this a commercial venture at this time. I simply want to create a utility that I love to use, and that others will hopefully love to use too.

Windows Phone 7 is making a lot of progress but it still doesn't enjoy the share that iPhone or Android does, to my knowledge.

The API will be open, so anyone with developer skills can write their own app. I'm just trained in Windows development, so making a Win App is ideal for me :)

Perhaps a mobile version of the site, though, might do in the interim? I'll guage demand based on people's responses here.

Thanks!

rsp said:
You're right, Android does currently have a larger market but I'm not looking to make this a commercial venture at this time. I simply want to create a utility that I love to use, and that others will hopefully love to use too.

Windows Phone 7 is making a lot of progress but it still doesn't enjoy the share that iPhone or Android does, to my knowledge.

The API will be open, so anyone with developer skills can write their own app. I'm just trained in Windows development, so making a Win App is ideal for me :)

Perhaps a mobile version of the site, though, might do in the interim? I'll guage demand based on people's responses here.

Thanks!

Sounds great!

I use the AA app 99.9% of the time and that would be my vote.

I didn't know they had one out, but windows 7 is the best OS yet from Bill & Co IMHO/E.

Cool, well I can probably have this up and running by the weekend in a basic form. If any of you are interested in beta testing, let me know by way of a private message or by adding a note in this thread.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Adding fields to track levels in a planted tank would be nice too. CO2, nitrate, phosphates, etc..

meegosh said:
Adding fields to track levels in a planted tank would be nice too

Can you give me a hint what that might look like? For example what would the inputs look like for the field 'track levels'?

Also, what metrics would be useful to have for saltwater aquariums? Any ideas?

Mr. Limpet said:
Great idea!

is that free? itd be real useful for me

OK, tonight I added equipment lists (with maintenance and replacement reminders), water quality tracking with graphic histories, tank notes and tomorrow I will be adding a photo manager and livestock list.

Basic service for now but will add more features if you request them.

Just spoke to a friend of mine who is an Android developer and he will write me an app to connect to the site.

Cool!

Back
Top Bottom