Burn out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long did it take you to get burnt out with fish keeping and what did you do to combat it?

We started in May, and I am getting a little tired of the water changes and constant vigilance. We traded out some of our fish and got different ones (F8 puffers) and that has helped some, but man I am struggling with the motivation needed to keep up with it.

Keep in mind I am NOT neglecting my fish. They still get fed, weekly water changes and params checked...I am just not excited about it like I used to be.

I have my moments, but generally speaking I just always find something new to do. I have a lot of tanks to mess with though, so I've always got a project to work on.

My water change routine is somewhat daunting as well, but that's because it takes about 2 hours from start to finish. I'm working on a way to make that faster, though.

Are you using a python for your water changes? What about updating the look of the tank?

I don't have a python and maybe that would help a bit. I don't know that its actually the work of doing a water change. My largest tank is only 20 gal and its about 5 steps from the kitchen sink and about 10 steps from a bathroom sink. I think its more the absolute knowledge that I HAVE to do a water change every week or risk the levels getting out of hand and hurting/killing my fish.

I will look into the python though. I have read a few threads on here about them but have never honestly looked into one.

I do like switching things up. That is exactly why we got the F8's. We started with an established tank we bought off the local classifieds. It came with guppies and tetras. I have since gotten really sick of guppies. I still find them to be a fun and unique fish to look at...but haven't enjoyed keeping them.

Thats about all the changing up I can do right now though. We are on a very limited budget and have to limit our discretionary spending quite a bit.

I appreciate the ideas though. I will see if maybe I can do some rearranging of the plants.

Having interactive fish also adds another dimension to fishkeeping. I've never kept f8 puffers so I don't know how interactive they are but I've had several cichlids and sunfish that are a blast.

Yeah the python thing just takes the buckets out of the equation, it simplifies the process greatly, and it is a must have for multiple tank setups.

So far the F8's are pretty interactive. At least loads more than the guppies and tetras. They have already figured out (in like a week or less) that we mean food. We have hand fed them a couple times, but mostly because one would get the corner on the food and not want to share. Its also pretty fun to watch them go swim into the powerhead current. Its like a game to them: Can I beat the current or not?

It comes to the point where you need to decide whether you enjoy fishkeeping as a hobby any longer. Realistically, if you're not willing to do the maintenance, you shouldn't be keeping fish (not saying that's you, just a general statement). I got to the same point as you a while back. I didn't enjoy them, I dreaded maintenance, was ready to get rid of them all. I had expanded from 6 tanks to 14 and it just wasn't for me. I tore down some tanks, got back down to 5, now I'm enjoying them again. I'm planning a reef tank now, which has got me even more involved in my hobby. For me, changing things around a bit sparks a little more interest. If it ever gets to the point that I don't enjoy them anymore, and I can't get myself motivated any longer, I'll get rid of them before I slack and cause harm to them.

Yeah I get what you mean, and maybe that is the undertone to my question: What gives you all the most enjoyment out of the hobby (sufficient to counter the work and dedication needed)?

I agree that I am not going to cause my fish harm. I will get out of it if I get to the point that my fish will be hurt. The tough part with that is the money invested, cause you will never get back what you put in, not even close. Makes poor people like me reluctant to give up on hobbies we have invested in ;)

Back
Top Bottom