Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Newbie
its so noisy the fish cant talk....

I just read an article...

"All tanks should have a pump to keep water flowing continuously.

Keep them in a quiet area. Fish “talk” with one another through a range of low-frequency sounds. The pumps and filters necessary in many home aquariums can interfere with this communication, so use quiet equipment, and don’t place radios or televisions near your fish." [quote;peta]"

Although Im not sure about this, I do have a pump, a fluval [and its sort of quite] and a large stone bubbler...... but the sound of the bubbles is by far the noisier.

Im wondering if this can stress the fish......

20 gal with ballon rams odessa barbs upside down cats mini pleco corys kuhli loachs otos zebras, rabbit snails lots of plants and wood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcgA...ature=youtu.be
duncanrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
not sure what the previous post has to do with this thread, but....

I also worked in the industry for some years.
I strongly agree with Andy about getting work in a store before making any commitments to the grand plan.
One thing people often tend to forget is the day in-day out grind of running a business, greatly compounded when dealing with a perishable item like food or livestock.
It is great to be able to work in a field/area you like, but it is work.
How well will you enjoy cleaning out the feeder tank after the two thousand feeder goldfish you got died overnight?
To be successful in the business tanks need to be maintained daily, throughout the day.
The margins on livestock aren't really all that great, so definitely offer services (service offer the greatest profit margin )

And if you do go into the service maintenance side of it GET BONDED/INSURED FOR AT LEAST $50,000 per incident, because they will happen, like the hose getting knocked off the canister filter by the cleaning crew at a dentist office and you get a call that 50+ gallons of saltwater has flooded down two floors of an office building with a hefty bill to go along with it, trust me on this.

All I'm saying is also take into consideration the daily BS associated with this type of business, like nasty rashes from cleaning salt tanks ever day, you know, stuff like that.

It is very easy to romanticize a business such as a tropical fish store, but the realities are a much different story.

don't mean to sound like such an A**, just trying to point out that it isn't all fun and fins.

PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
PB_Smith brings up some great points. I just thought of another daily stress and wanted to add it to the list: People who buy fish that are not compatible with the size or stock of their tank, and come back complaining that the fish was ripped to pieces or killed the others. You could solve this problem by making sure that the people buying the fish know what they're doing, but then you get people complaining that you don't trust them and that sort of stuff.

It is kinda a catch 22 in this case, but it is in lots of cases with businesses. Just do what seems right, and people will be annoyed, but you can't make everyone happy as well as run a successful store.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Kittykat364 is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarium, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com