Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Buy fish from LFS or Supplier that ships fish

My LFS has a supplier that ships the fish from Washington to Juneau, Alaska. He is ordering a ton of Denison Barbs and I am adopting 6 of them.

Is it best to wait 2 weeks after the LFS recieves the shipped fish, or is it best to get the fish apon arrival to the LFS?

Reason I'm asking is that the owner told me he would bag the fish up for me when they arrived so I could pick them up same day. He thought it would be best if they could skip the acclimation process to his tanks and just go straight to mine. I thought waiting 2 weeks might be safer since the weaker fish may die within that time period.

Please tell me what you think. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
come get me tang police!

It's your call. I'd wait if he will hold them for you, but generally fish travel well.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for your response. I will ask him about holding them for 2 weeks. When I was in the shop lastnight, I did notice dead and dieing fish in ALL the tanks though. eek. But, he said once the fish leave his store, if any die (even next day) I will not be refunded or have a replacement fish. They are $40 each! This is a tough decision...
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would wait, personally. Is he cutting you a deal if you get them same day? I know that when you order in fish here, you pick them up same day and get a really great deal. But, if you wait, they are out in the tanks to be bought by anyone who comes along.

Hopefully he can hold them in the back. And it also helps knowing they have made it thus far and aren't waiting to die when you step out of the store. Fish can be tricky...
Old 01-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
come get me tang police!

Ehhh.. I don't know if I'd purchase through a LFS that doesn't keep their tanks in good shape.

But, if that's the case, and you have no other choice, personally I'd just get them straight off the delivery truck. Sounds like it'd be worse for the fish to go into those tanks than to just go straight into yours.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking but thought I'd ask others for their opinion. I'm new to fish keeping and learning as I go. Up until Jan 2 we only had one spot for buying fish. Now we have Petco, but their tanks seem to be in the same condition! They just opened this month and already have loads of dead/dieing fish!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you considered just doing the mail order bit yourself? Liveaquaria has denison barbs for $30 apiece right now. You'll have to pay shipping ($35), but they'll at least give you a 14 day guarantee. In my experience, if you have a death, just give them a phone call and they'll issue a refend.

If you have some buddies or other tanks that need stocking, they do free shipping at $225. I've never ordered any freshwater from them, but I have received saltwater fish from them several times in the past and been satisfied.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, if I pick up the fish same day, he will be cutting me a deal. He didn't tell me how much though. Guess I won't know that till I pick them up. It would be nice if he would give me at least a 24 hour window after bringing them home, but unfortunately, he said no when I asked.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will check into liveauquaria today! I haven't thought to order fish online because I wasn't sure who I could trust. 14 day guraentee is awesome!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish View Post
I will check into liveauquaria today! I haven't thought to order fish online because I wasn't sure who I could trust. 14 day guraentee is awesome!

The only way I can afford my saltwater fish is through mail order or by getting stuff from a local reef club. The LFS around me are as much as twice the price of what I get online.

Tags
acclimation, denison barb, lfs, local fish store, shipping

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com