Buy fish from LFS or Supplier that ships fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
My LFS has a supplier that ships the fish from Washington to Juneau, Alaska. He is ordering a ton of Denison Barbs and I am adopting 6 of them.

Is it best to wait 2 weeks after the LFS recieves the shipped fish, or is it best to get the fish apon arrival to the LFS?

Reason I'm asking is that the owner told me he would bag the fish up for me when they arrived so I could pick them up same day. He thought it would be best if they could skip the acclimation process to his tanks and just go straight to mine. I thought waiting 2 weeks might be safer since the weaker fish may die within that time period.

Please tell me what you think. Thanks a bunch everyone!
:fish2::fish1::fish1::fish2::fish1::fish1::fish2:

Thank you for your response. I will ask him about holding them for 2 weeks. When I was in the shop lastnight, I did notice dead and dieing fish in ALL the tanks though. eek. But, he said once the fish leave his store, if any die (even next day) I will not be refunded or have a replacement fish. They are $40 each! This is a tough decision...

I would wait, personally. Is he cutting you a deal if you get them same day? I know that when you order in fish here, you pick them up same day and get a really great deal. But, if you wait, they are out in the tanks to be bought by anyone who comes along.

Hopefully he can hold them in the back. And it also helps knowing they have made it thus far and aren't waiting to die when you step out of the store. Fish can be tricky...

Ehhh.. I don't know if I'd purchase through a LFS that doesn't keep their tanks in good shape.

But, if that's the case, and you have no other choice, personally I'd just get them straight off the delivery truck. Sounds like it'd be worse for the fish to go into those tanks than to just go straight into yours.

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking but thought I'd ask others for their opinion. I'm new to fish keeping and learning as I go. Up until Jan 2 we only had one spot for buying fish. Now we have Petco, but their tanks seem to be in the same condition! They just opened this month and already have loads of dead/dieing fish!

Have you considered just doing the mail order bit yourself? Liveaquaria has denison barbs for $30 apiece right now. You'll have to pay shipping ($35), but they'll at least give you a 14 day guarantee. In my experience, if you have a death, just give them a phone call and they'll issue a refend.

If you have some buddies or other tanks that need stocking, they do free shipping at $225. I've never ordered any freshwater from them, but I have received saltwater fish from them several times in the past and been satisfied.

Yes, if I pick up the fish same day, he will be cutting me a deal. He didn't tell me how much though. Guess I won't know that till I pick them up. It would be nice if he would give me at least a 24 hour window after bringing them home, but unfortunately, he said no when I asked.

I will check into liveauquaria today! I haven't thought to order fish online because I wasn't sure who I could trust. 14 day guraentee is awesome!

I will check into liveauquaria today! I haven't thought to order fish online because I wasn't sure who I could trust. 14 day guraentee is awesome!

The only way I can afford my saltwater fish is through mail order or by getting stuff from a local reef club. The LFS around me are as much as twice the price of what I get online.

Actually, that gives me an idea too...if Liveaquaria offers a 14 day guarantee, then perhaps my LFS will match that guarantee so he won't loose a sale for 6 Denison Barb. If I can avoid using the credit card all the better ;)
Thank you everyone for your help!

40.00 for Denison barb. There was a lfs that was selling some in the 22.00 range and was surprised.

That's a little high for this area also, They are approx $21-22 each here after markup as well. It could be the location/supplier though, getting tropicals into alaska this time of year seems to be a fairly risky venture because of the weather, so that may be a factor.

Jetajockey I agree. I'm sure there is above average risk in shipping to Alaska.

There are Denisoni on Aqua Bid for WAY less than $40.00 apiece. That is way to expensive in my opinion.

There are Denisoni on Aqua Bid for WAY less than $40.00 apiece. That is way to expensive in my opinion.

Thanks! I will check them out. Have you bought from them? I looked into AquaLife and they have some great deals too.

Thanks! I will check them out. Have you bought from them? I looked into AquaLife and they have some great deals too.
Yes I have bought fish on AquaBid many times. There are many different sellers that list fish on that auction site!

Back
Top Bottom