Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Some people eat fish that get too big! I find that kind of gross, but my brother (who does it) doesn't see a thing wrong with it. And I myself eat fish (though not ones that were previously pets) so who am I to judge. I know personally I would be less opposed to someone eating their Pacu rather than dumping it in a lake. But that's just me.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The problem with buying a fish that will outgrow your tank is, from what I've read, this: if the fish is growing in an environment that is too small, it's body growth (ie: skeletel structure) will be stunted. Fine, you have a small fish, that's what you want in a small tank, yes? NO!!! Because his internal organs will not be stunted. Essentially, you'll have a fish who's organs are too big for his body. This is a recipie for disaster, and it's probably painful, too. Your organs are the perfect size for your particular body, they should neither be smaller nor larger. Yet when you buy a little fish for your little tank, knowing that your little fish ought to grow into a larger fish, you are causing irrepairable damage. A 5 inch arrowana may look like he's doing just fine in a 10 gallon tank, but when he's got the internal organs meant for a 20 inch fish, all crammed into 5 inches of body, he ain't gonna be happy. Or alive.

I come in peace.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had to return a few fish, not because they got too big for the tank, but rather because they didn't like each other. Although the store keeper promised they were compatible and the internet listed them also as compatible they still didn't get along. The parrots terrorized the gouramis, the gouramis terrorized the ruby barbs to the point that one died etc. So the troublemaker parrots went back to the store first, then the semi-aggressive gouramis. Now the tank is peaceful with Angelo, the albino angel fish, and The Three Stooges, cory cats. Second rosy barb died also after a few days. I don't believe in returning unwanted animals but sometimes it is necessary to maintain an otherwise harmonious tank.

The guppy tank is over-populated by about 100 babies from three births. I started out with Emma one already pregnant female (store keeper didn't tell me) and one male named Edwin. They are a very busy couple ...
How can I stop them from having more and how can I get the babies out of the tank without killing some of them?

The Betta are all happy in their own tanks, Alexander, Eddie, Pierre and Simon.

Last week we went to the pet store where I returned the parrots to and Fred was still there. He is back at home now in his own tank where he cant chase or bite anyone.

Every tank is heavily planted and has a handful of Malaysian snails living there to tend to the leftovers. (they don't have names)

Oh, and there is the tank with cherry shrimp. Someone just had eggs hatch and the tiny babies are everywhere.

My husband wanted one Betta and we ended up with a colony of fish, who don't get along and I am running out of space for all the different tanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edwin_and_emma_s_tank.jpg (104.4 KB, 31 views)
All my fish have Names, except the guppy babies
Old 12-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
A lot of it is misinformation and not doing research, then taking back to the lfs is a good thing. If you purposely buy a fish you know will get too big with no plans of upgrading, then hopefully MTS will take hold and you will get hooked on bigger tanks. I only buy fish I intend to keep myself personally even if I have to plan an upgrade for them. Of course I suffer from MTS so it is a natural thing to do.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Old 12-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
a lot of times people consider asking their store owner if the fish will get too big as their research. How many times have people complained or found out they were told the wrong information? I know when I am in the store, the guys there consult ME when someone is asking questions. Especially about German Rams. One of the guys calls me the "ram lady" It is quite funny. Oh, and don't worry about the flower horn in my 55 gallon, he'll be getting an upgrade
Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I would never do something like that on purpose, but some people have no choice when sold something that they didn't know would get so big. Tell me how many fish stores--responsible and irrespondible alike--continue to sell common plecos knowing darn good and well that very few folks in the hobby have tanks large enough to accomodate them? The people that do have big enough tanks know better than to buy a common pleco!! 8O

I bought a common as one of my first fish....not knowing any better. He was tiny when we bought him for a two gallon tank.... 8O....I upgraded to a 29 and put him in there, but he quickly started to outgrow it too. I'm getting a 55 for Christmas, but I know he would have eventually outgrown it too.

With a heavy heart and still sad about it to this day we took our "Lips" to a LFS for trade-in. I still miss him terribly and I hate myself for doing it, but it's better than the alternatives....which including trying to keep a fish that would get too big for any of my tanks.....that would make him miserable, possibly even cause him to suffer .

I have since bought a tiny Scribble pleco (L-129) to fill the void left by giving away "Lips". We call him "Scribble Lips" and he will not get any bigger than 3 inches. I have learned a very hard lesson at the hand of fish stores that unscrupulously continue to sell fish that get too big for certain tanks to people without asking what size tank they have.

Yes, I feel that is the sellers responsibility to inquire what size set-up a particular fish is going into before they sell it. I wouldn't be offended....it would give me a chance to talk about my tanks.....whcih I love to do.
"My name is Crazy Red and I'm an Aquariumaholic." ~~Melissa~~dedicated Ram breeder~~

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to DugOut
That just makes me ink!

I loved that movie!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I love Nemo also. That was the cutest movie ever

All my fish have Names, except the guppy babies
Closed Thread

buying fish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com