Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by ocean

The only corals I have bought locally are mushrooms, and I probably paid to much for those! The LFS doesn't have a great choice on corals either, I looked today, two mushroom frags, $29.99 and $69.99 (for a red), one zoo for 31.99. They had some huge anemones for $44.95, they had a sale few weeks ago and the anemones didn't sell. Would like to have them order a leather and trumpet coral for me but weary what they would cost me! And they can't quote me a price.
You're worried about price, my LFS sells small frags the size of quarters for 200$...

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997

You're worried about price, my LFS sells small frags the size of quarters for 200$...
Holy crap, quess I shouldn't complain!! I quess it depends on where you live, supply and demand and the LFS

ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I support my LFS. I have never tried ordering fish online, but I think I will in the future.
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I buy expensive fish online because of the 2 week warranty. Anything that is $50 and over is strictly online.
slitherbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive seen larger options online than in local stores but have yet to order anything online for fish yet.
iheartmyed9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
The only stores that I have local are a couple of the bigger chains. I only go there if I need something fast. Otherwise I drive the 40 miles to a Mom & Pop
FS. They are great about everything. They have a great selection of fish, they try to keep it interesting. If they don't have what I want, they will order it for me, that way I'm never stuck paying those insane shipping charges.
They don't carry a lot of equipment. But equipment is cheaper online and doesn't come with a big shipping fee, like fish do.
Same with decorations, not a lot but what they do have is very well made, no way for your fish to get hurt by it. But that too is better purchased online.
If they don't have the substrate I want they'll order that too, no shipping.
What they do carry is a lot of a few high quality foods. What I mean is, they carry the entire line of NLS for one, along with a few other high quality food lines. They do the same with medicines. They try to carry a couple of really good meds. to cover the common illnesses of all the fish they sell.
There has never been an issue about returning a fish for any reason. The fish is a bully or the wrong sex, or it got to big or it's being picked on and it's life is to stressful , so it needs a new home, whatever it is, they take them back. It's a wonderful policy that they have about it all.
They also gave me credit, I'm on a fixed income because I'm disabled. Some times the cash runs out and my fish need something or I run out of Prime a couple of days before I get paid so the credit makes both mine and my fishes life easier.

So supporting your closest but not always local Mom & Pop stores can be a benefit to you and your fish too.
WendiDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
So far everything I have purchased has been about 50/50 between LFS and online. I have learned the hard way that the only advice I can safely follow is that of experienced aquarists here in this community. I've been repeatedly burned by employees at pet store chains giving advice only to make a sale. At this point I will get my advice here, and then comparison shop for the best price.
DrConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award
It all depends on what I'm looking for.

One of the LFSs we go to has awesome deals on Fluval filters and media, so/so pricing on fish, decent pricing on DW and frozen foods.

Another one has so/so pricing on fish, bad pricing on DW, so/so on frozen foods, BAD pricing on equipment in general unless you go through their used tanks/parts room.

Then there's our chains. Decent pricing all the way around.

But, when I'm shopping for Prime, I get my 2 liter bottles online. Even with shipping the price is better than any of our stores.
Jamie.... "The fingers of natural selection are hovering over the delete button."
AA community rules: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I did a little searching on Ebay for a canister or refugium for my 40 gal. Breeder a Fluval 305 I can get for around $120 with free shipping, otherwise my LFS would have to order one for me and I hate to think what the cost would be, so yes I will be ordering online. I'll check at Petco and see what their prices are to.
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
It's very true that you can buy cheaper on line or at the chain stores. The thing you can't get on line or at chain stores is the years of knowledge, experience,and personal service you get at LFS. I used to have people come in and get advice on illness or foods or compatability, and then go to one of the chain stores and buy their products and fish. Then when they had problems come back to me for advice. Couldn't pay the overhead on free advice

foster53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com