Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

it directly affects the price of fish in the store. some people dont look at it that way, they just think thats twice the price blah blah blah. plus i think its better to look at the fish you buy than not seeing it

Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #42
come get me tang police!

Sure, shipping costs a lot when you order in a ton of fish to a LFS. So what? It'd cost me a lot to have large boxes of fish shipped to my house also. I looked into importing for a while and I am well aware of the process/costs.

If you break it down, their actual shipping cost is way lower than it is for someone buying a few fish online, because they are getting hundreds per box.

I do agree that it's nice looking at the fish before you buy it, but generally I know what I am after before I start browsing online for something to buy, and most of the time I can get actual pictures/video of the fish being sold to me.

One other thing to factor into the cost of buying at the LFS is the cost of transportation to get up there and back. If you work there then you likely get a discount and have to be there anyway, so it works out for you, but for a retail customer not so much.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is why lfs cost more. cost of item shipping work of employees feeding waterchanging the tanks. my store actually loses money on about 70 percent of what we sell. and i was a retail customer there for 6 years before working there. its still a convince to buy healthy fish that you can see before you buy. in persons better than online. i have bought stuff online and it actually wasnt to good any of the times i purchased offline. coral was dead, fish was dead etc
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo
this is why lfs cost more. cost of item shipping work of employees feeding waterchanging the tanks. my store actually loses money on about 70 percent of what we sell. and i was a retail customer there for 6 years before working there. its still a convince to buy healthy fish that you can see before you buy. in persons better than online. i have bought stuff online and it actually wasnt to good any of the times i purchased offline. coral was dead, fish was dead etc
One great thing about buying online is the 2 week guarantee. Even if my lfs sells a fish for $75 and it's $100 online, I'll still buy online because of that guarantee that the fish won't die. Anyways, most online stores have discount shipping for floridians lol
Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

some stores offer a 2 week guarantee my work does. plus we qt everything
Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine sure doesn't
Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #47
come get me tang police!

I still don't understand why people should pay more to buy from a LFS rather than online.

It's just like walmart putting small stores out of business, either they adapt or they go extinct, you can't blame people for wanting to pay less for things.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally don't trust buying online. I have had my identity stolen amoung knowing plenty of people having any range of issues. I would much rather hand the cash/card to a physical person who swipes it.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would pay a few more dollars to get it right away from my lfs, instead of buying online. You can also see the fish eat and if it's sick or something. The people at my lfs know me already, so they give me discounts on things and just give things for free. It's really cool.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did some checking online for a canister filter, after my LFS showed me what he uses on all his tanks. His price was almost $200, Petco (in town) was $169 Ebay was $105. I realize the small mom and pop LFS have to make money to stay in business but crap!!! That is a big price difference.....and so what it boils down to I'll be buying online, but will still get my fish from the LFS.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com