buying from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering how many people support their LFS. There is only one mom and pop LFS here plus a Petco. The LFS carries one brand of filters (canisters and HOB), no heaters, and very limited on other supplies ( test kits, food.....) I stopped in today to get sand, they had the very fine white, live sand and crushed coral sand. I left with buying anything. I realize I can get what I want cheaper online but I would like to shop more at the LFS, even thou the prices are higher.

I buy nearly everything online. Sometimes I will get a fish from the LFS if it's just a few, but its always cheaper online. I don't really feel an obligation to keep the LFS going, I know they have overhead and stuff, but they have to find a way to compete with the big box and online options. Adapt or go extinct.

I support mine, but it's That Fish Place. So it has great prices all the time!! :)

My lfs almost always has lower prices on fish than online. Coral seems to be either about the same, or lower. Idk about equipment as I've literally never looked.

I'm all about supporting local businesses.. unless things online are a lot cheaper. When a bottle of Prime is $11 online, but $20 in a local store, it's a no brainer. If it's something that is maybe just a dollar or two more (or for more expensive items, not much more in comparison), then I will get it locally.

I support the local LFS around here because they are great and super nice, even though some of the coworkers are more pushy an imature than others. I especially like the one that is next door to a restaurant where we eat every week (my grandpa loves this place so it's an obligation) and while I wait for the food I check out the fish. Plus they have real low prices and know about fishless cycling! :)

slitherbomb said:
My lfs almost always has lower prices on fish than online. Coral seems to be either about the same, or lower. Idk about equipment as I've literally never looked.

The only corals I have bought locally are mushrooms, and I probably paid to much for those! The LFS doesn't have a great choice on corals either, I looked today, two mushroom frags, $29.99 and $69.99 (for a red), one zoo for 31.99. They had some huge anemones for $44.95, they had a sale few weeks ago and the anemones didn't sell. Would like to have them order a leather and trumpet coral for me but weary what they would cost me! And they can't quote me a price.

ocean said:
The only corals I have bought locally are mushrooms, and I probably paid to much for those! The LFS doesn't have a great choice on corals either, I looked today, two mushroom frags, $29.99 and $69.99 (for a red), one zoo for 31.99. They had some huge anemones for $44.95, they had a sale few weeks ago and the anemones didn't sell. Would like to have them order a leather and trumpet coral for me but weary what they would cost me! And they can't quote me a price.

Ok that's just crazy! I bought a small green mushroom for $8 lol and they also gave me a small rock full of zoas for $5. I bought a sebae anemone which is about 6" across for $24. I'm also bought an acropora frag for $22. The next coral that I'm planning on buying is a 2" torch corral frag that is $29. Lol

Online always are cheaper. I'm already spending too much on aquarium related items, so there's no way I'm paying more at my LFS.

ocean said:

You're worried about price, my LFS sells small frags the size of quarters for 200$...

bruinsbro1997 said:
You're worried about price, my LFS sells small frags the size of quarters for 200$...

Holy crap, quess I shouldn't complain!! I quess it depends on where you live, supply and demand and the LFS

I support my LFS. I have never tried ordering fish online, but I think I will in the future.

The only stores that I have local are a couple of the bigger chains. I only go there if I need something fast. Otherwise I drive the 40 miles to a Mom & Pop
FS. They are great about everything. They have a great selection of fish, they try to keep it interesting. If they don't have what I want, they will order it for me, that way I'm never stuck paying those insane shipping charges.
They don't carry a lot of equipment. But equipment is cheaper online and doesn't come with a big shipping fee, like fish do.
Same with decorations, not a lot but what they do have is very well made, no way for your fish to get hurt by it. But that too is better purchased online.
If they don't have the substrate I want they'll order that too, no shipping.
What they do carry is a lot of a few high quality foods. What I mean is, they carry the entire line of NLS for one, along with a few other high quality food lines. They do the same with medicines. They try to carry a couple of really good meds. to cover the common illnesses of all the fish they sell.
There has never been an issue about returning a fish for any reason. The fish is a bully or the wrong sex, or it got to big or it's being picked on and it's life is to stressful , so it needs a new home, whatever it is, they take them back. It's a wonderful policy that they have about it all.
They also gave me credit, I'm on a fixed income because I'm disabled. Some times the cash runs out and my fish need something or I run out of Prime a couple of days before I get paid so the credit makes both mine and my fishes life easier.

So supporting your closest but not always local Mom & Pop stores can be a benefit to you and your fish too. :):fish1:

So far everything I have purchased has been about 50/50 between LFS and online. I have learned the hard way that the only advice I can safely follow is that of experienced aquarists here in this community. I've been repeatedly burned by employees at pet store chains giving advice only to make a sale. At this point I will get my advice here, and then comparison shop for the best price.

It all depends on what I'm looking for.

One of the LFSs we go to has awesome deals on Fluval filters and media, so/so pricing on fish, decent pricing on DW and frozen foods.

Another one has so/so pricing on fish, bad pricing on DW, so/so on frozen foods, BAD pricing on equipment in general unless you go through their used tanks/parts room.

Then there's our chains. Decent pricing all the way around.

But, when I'm shopping for Prime, I get my 2 liter bottles online. Even with shipping the price is better than any of our stores.

I did a little searching on Ebay for a canister or refugium for my 40 gal. Breeder a Fluval 305 I can get for around $120 with free shipping, otherwise my LFS would have to order one for me and I hate to think what the cost would be, so yes I will be ordering online. I'll check at Petco and see what their prices are to.

It's very true that you can buy cheaper on line or at the chain stores. The thing you can't get on line or at chain stores is the years of knowledge, experience,and personal service you get at LFS. I used to have people come in and get advice on illness or foods or compatability, and then go to one of the chain stores and buy their products and fish. Then when they had problems come back to me for advice. Couldn't pay the overhead on free advice:eek:

Back
Top Bottom