Came home to an aquarists worst nightmare (well sort of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I come home from work today and open the door and the first thing I hear is what sounds like spraying water! 8O I think OH S@#% so I run downstairs as thats where the sounds was comming from. I am greated to a nice humid/damp room. The sounds are comming from the laundry/fishroom area so I go in there and splash splash my feet make as they hit the floor. I see water dripping off the bottom of the upstairs steps. 8O 8O It sounds like its comming from the fish room so I go toward the fish room but wait... I get past my sump pump thats in the basement and the floor turns dry. Hm... Not comming from the fish room. Then I investigate further and find its comming from one of the washer lines. Looks like it dryrotted or something just before the fitting going into the washer and it was spraying water 15'+ across the room.

As my luck would have it it was the hot water line. So who knows how much water was wasted and how much natural gas was used to heat the water that was beign sprayed all over the basement. And now the AC is running non stop trying to dump the mosture and heat from the air.

So yippie as I wait for my next water, gas and electric bill. Plus now I get to fix the washer.

Thank god it was not the tanks. Also I am very thankful the water didnt trip any breakers or blow any fuses.

Wow.. I gotta say I was expecting fish losses when I clicked on this thread, so I guess I'm a little relieved in that respect.. but man that's gotta suck. Thank goodness there was no electrics nearby.

Acutally there was. THe water was spraying directly over the electrical outlet that runs the freezer 8O

THE first thing I did was replace all my lines with stainless braided lines. Nothing gonn arot or break there ! Did it for all water connectiong, ice maker and water for fridge, dishwasher, and washer...

Man - when you started I really thought you had a true aquatic nightmare (admit it - I'll bet you initially hoped it was that FW tank you try to hide... :wink: )

This has happened to me before and I too am a fan of the braided lines for things like washers and dishwashers. I had a friend who lost an entire new Pergo kitchen floor from a slow leak at the dishwasher, which was seeping under the floor undetected for a while.

Hope it had not gone on for too long before you arrived-

Well, I am glad to hear the fishys are ok.

That's gotta suck to come home to, aaron, I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom