Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can a sucker fish live in a plastic storage container?

I have a 20gal aquarium that has a sucker fish but has grown to at least anya foot. He tears up any decorations I have and ruins the setup. I cant afford another aquarium but thought about the plastic tub. Is it possible for a 20~30 gal tub to hold him? Any help you can give me if its possible would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best advice in this situation if the pleco ( I am assuming here that it is a pleco) is a foot long it should not be in a 20g tank and should be either taken back to the pet store or find a new home for it in more appropriate quarters.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could use a Rubbermaid Stock Tank as an indoor Pond. If you can afford it get at least a 50-100g. Big Filter. You can DIY one.

Or rehome to a heated pond or BIG tank.

Common Plecos need big tanks, not just for room, but because they poop so much. The extra water keeps them clean. They can get even bigger. Sailfins hit 18".

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad he got that big, there are probably clubs in your area who are willing to take them. I have a small little zoo near me that keeps tons of fish, the fish people catch in lakes, ponds etc., and they have a huge tank with good water quality, they would take him. Just saying, places like that.

Nils
Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

LThanks for the help! I usually dont buy these but my son did and i ended up with him. Ive had him for several years now. I didnt expect this big guy. I live in a small mountain town so my options for a new home are limited. Im constantly cleaning his tank so this is why im looking at options. This gives me other ideas...thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

DIY filterhttp://youtu.be/Dpt9BqpE9RU or buy used.

DIY Pond http://youtu.be/JS-qLGZ_lHE. Plecos need warmth but perhaps you can find room for him ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Needs a filter but another DIY
http://youtu.be/chr1nUCeb08

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
fish, live, plastic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com