Careers in the aquarium world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
We all love the hobby, why not make a career out of it? Does anyone know of any fish related jobs?(this is for a school project)

There are commercial applications to aquarium keeping. There are small businesses that attend to aquariums like for offices or residential setups. There are also aquarium makers, and carpenters that fashion the stands and other equipment. Marine biology comes to mind as well, perhaps in the aquarium keeping world in applications such as working for the large aquariums at zoos and other centers.

Then, though I am not sure, wildlife conservationists must try to keep endangered species in captivity to avoid them going extinct.

I know people who do research on aquarium fish in the wild. Overfishing and pollution effects on valuable stocks are very popular right now. And research about aquaculture and how sustainable it might/might not be.

Actually, those are not exactly aquarium careers... But there are tons of options in the study of tropical fish in general!

As far as aquarium careers go, I think the most successful are the private businesses that take care of tanks in my dentist's office ;) my cousin actually maintains aquariums for very wealthy folks, who want gigantic saltwater tanks in their living rooms and stuff.
Working at government-funded zoos and aquariums involve conservation, research, outreach and all that good stuff along with maintenance of tanks. Biiigggg tanks. Full of very expensive or very rare species!

Back
Top Bottom