Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I am just going to add in here that if you want to actually make real money, don't get a fish job. Like MrPillow said, it's very hard to make ends meat, especially with government cut backs. I have had a couple jobs dealing with wild fish, but they were seasonal and all of those programs are currently being cut back. There are not many aquariums out there, and the job market there is highly competitive (just like any zoo job). Just to give you an idea, for the entire fish population of the entire Columbia and Snake Rivers, there are about 5 fish biologists employed full time.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

It highly depends on what an individual is satisfied with and the economy of where they reside. You won't get rich in the industry, but I don't need to be rich to be happy either. That being said, providing a niche could bring wealth if planned correctly (maint. service can reach upwards of $100k). Of course, there are also trade-offs such as:
Working in a zoological or public aquarium offers ability to work with animals the public is not allowed or cannot afford to. Working in the science-based end involving computers can net higher values, but often little animal care. Then theres those that make next to nothing in the field, but being involved in raw nature is worth their trade-off. Most stores aren't going to turn massive profit without a maint. contract or provide a specialized niche.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do tank maintenance for 43 people, including businesses make roughly 65k a year just doing that. Best job ever in my opinion haha. I love what I do.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliams
I do tank maintenance for 43 people, including businesses make roughly 65k a year just doing that. Best job ever in my opinion haha. I love what I do.
This is something I'd love to do. I thoroughly enjoy maintaining my own tanks, so all I've got to do is find some rich people to sucker in! Lol!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine2012

This is something I'd love to do. I thoroughly enjoy maintaining my own tanks, so all I've got to do is find some rich people to sucker in! Lol!
I started by working at Petco. Everyone I sold a tank too, I'd hand them my business card. Worked out pretty well, but you do have to find some rich people. All my clients are millionaires with too much money to know what to do with. All they want is someone they can trust & knows what there doing. All of them pretty much know nothing about fish at all it just relaxes them.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is an aquatic science, zoology, oceanography, etc programs with BS, MS , and PhD options in my area. There is a great number of unemployed people coming out of those program since employment opportunities is rare and pay is usually low-moderate.

The other side of this hobby is business related and has the potential to earn good money. Get a degree in accounting if possible. Accountants understands how a company works, so that is your best bet in operating your own business. It also has a fallback option - CPA then you can practically work anywhere and do many things after getting accounting experience.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliams
Me to! But not 43 ... Just three so far

DREAM BIG NEVER GIVE UP AND DONTHE RIGHT THING
Old 07-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine2012
I couldn't own a store. I'd be entirely too honest with customers resulting in no profit!
That's the reason I don't work at the fish department at petsmart lol! I would love to educate people, but I'm sure I'd be fired for saying 'no' to too many people.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com