Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
By the way, after reading your post I did a little research on savannah cats, and they are awesome! I kind of want one myself now.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina
Hello,

I really want to get a savannah cat. However, because they are a little "smarter" than the average cat, I want to know how everyone has protected their aquariums. I have a canopy on my 220g tank- but two squares cut out the top for extra ventilation. Any suggestions?
OMG I too have just researched savannah cats and I really want one. They are so gorgeous and when the sad time comes that my little ones are too old I will def be considering one!!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

only one of our three cats is interested in one of our three tanks and that's because she likes to lay on top of the nice warm dual t5ho fixture
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both of my cats pretty well ignore the fish tank. The only time they go near it is if I'm sitting on the couch looking at it. Then they get between me and the tank. Heaven forbid that I show the fish more attention than the cats!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Bengal cat myself. He consistently jumps 6-7 feet in the air do get onto my TV, dressers, countertops, etc. so the fish tank at 4.5-5 feet was easy for him. I have shooed him off a few times, and used my classic line, "Not for kitties..." I used to wake up, when I had my glass tops, and find wet paw prints dried on the front glass from where he would dip his paws in the water in the back where there was a small opening, and rub it all over the front glass.

I never knew how to stop him, but I got to the point that the sound was so ingrained into my mind, that I would actually wake up from sleeping if he jumped up there.

Furthermore, I have since added a screen top and ditched the glass tops altogether and so far, other than having a few actual nightmares of him jumping up, falling through and drowning, I haven't had any issue.

I just hung my Radion on the tank and now I'm waiting to come out and see him using it as a swing!

Good luck to YOU!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh TLTGF, he's a beauty!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I did some research after finding this post, I read they don't like the feel of tinfoil on their feet so I have laid tinfoil on all the tanks the cat likes to visit and so far it's working great.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a tiger/tuxedo kitty just under a year. Let me tell you she loves my tanks. Sleeps on them every night and watches them every day. Think up some kind of system to keep it out of the tanks, paws included. She cracks me up! I love to watch her watch them.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 3 Cats a Female Calico and Two male "alley" cats....Get a squirt gun or a Spray bottle that shoots water with some pressure. when they get near quick blast.....try not to let them see you do it they need to think it came from the "Tank". If they see you do it then they will wait to jump on the tank when you are not around......Better a little wet now then a lot later...
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

My 2 cats "Gus" the orange one and "Kitten" the grey one both love my tanks, luckily the tanks are fully covered
Gus hasn't been watching the tank for the past few days because she just had 4 little kittens can't wait till there eyes open
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-399926227.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	78809  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com