Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Cats and aquariums

Hello,

I really want to get a savannah cat. However, because they are a little "smarter" than the average cat, I want to know how everyone has protected their aquariums. I have a canopy on my 220g tank- but two squares cut out the top for extra ventilation. Any suggestions?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ooh those are pretty kitties, sadly I can't help you with your problem because I too have a cat and even though I have acrylic sheets over my tank he still manages to get his paws under and knock it off with his big body but luckily he hasn't ever done much harm. Cats are determined, but good luck on your endeavor!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Thanks. I was thinking of maybe securing egg crate on the inside where I have my squares cut out. I don't think they could get their paws in that. I'm pretty sure they could reach the top even though my canopy maxes out at 6.5 feet in height because my bistro table sits in front of it. And they are known to be jumpers!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I read this, looked up, and saw my cat sitting on my tank... Bad kitty! I think the egg rate should work, or pick up some plastic mesh from a craft store. I'm talking about the stuff used for cross stitching. It's cheap, $2 for a big sheet or $.50 for a small sheet at my local hobby lobby. You can usually find a couple different kinds with different sized holes. There's no way a cat could get a paw through a hole that's only a few millimeters square, but it will still allow good ventilation.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

My kittahs LOVE the fish tanks. They meow until we feed the fishes haha <3 Maybe use some type of screen with rotating arms to hold it in place.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i agree with others, some type of screen that will ventilate but keep those pesky paws out
Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have bengals and sphynx. Both super intelligent, both incredibly agile and both extremely determined and over the top inquisitive. They leave my tanks alone. Just stuck very sticky tape (folded it so sticky side was outward) all around the tank for a couple weeks and now they avoid the tanks. Cats, ALL kinds hate their feet touching sticky stuff. The first time they freaked out, then the thinking started. After trying every angle and conteplating new sceams to get at the fish, they finally realized no matter what they did, the tank meant sticky paws! And I mean it! They tried everything! Now they just watch the fish from the couch.
Good luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got two cats, one is not interested at all the other will sit and watch but have never tried to get in the top. He tends to get more worked up when the corys lay eggs because of the extra movement!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I made a deal with my wife that if I get my tiger fish she gets her cat and I regret that agreement everyday. I find paw prints all over my tanks, fish feeders knocked off tanks and filter media pulled out and chewed. I am beyond sick of it and have been thinking the cat must go, I'll try the tape idea at the very least it should be fun to watch lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina View Post
Hello,

I really want to get a savannah cat. However, because they are a little "smarter" than the average cat, I want to know how everyone has protected their aquariums. I have a canopy on my 220g tank- but two squares cut out the top for extra ventilation. Any suggestions?
My cat loves the aquarium. She thinks it's for her. She is always curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	76836  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com