Cats and aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

I really want to get a savannah cat. However, because they are a little "smarter" than the average cat, I want to know how everyone has protected their aquariums. I have a canopy on my 220g tank- but two squares cut out the top for extra ventilation. Any suggestions?

Ooh those are pretty kitties, sadly I can't help you with your problem because I too have a cat and even though I have acrylic sheets over my tank he still manages to get his paws under and knock it off with his big body but luckily he hasn't ever done much harm. Cats are determined, but good luck on your endeavor!

Thanks. I was thinking of maybe securing egg crate on the inside where I have my squares cut out. I don't think they could get their paws in that. I'm pretty sure they could reach the top even though my canopy maxes out at 6.5 feet in height because my bistro table sits in front of it. And they are known to be jumpers!

I read this, looked up, and saw my cat sitting on my tank... Bad kitty! I think the egg rate should work, or pick up some plastic mesh from a craft store. I'm talking about the stuff used for cross stitching. It's cheap, $2 for a big sheet or $.50 for a small sheet at my local hobby lobby. You can usually find a couple different kinds with different sized holes. There's no way a cat could get a paw through a hole that's only a few millimeters square, but it will still allow good ventilation.

My kittahs LOVE the fish tanks. They meow until we feed the fishes haha <3 Maybe use some type of screen with rotating arms to hold it in place.

i agree with others, some type of screen that will ventilate but keep those pesky paws out

I have bengals and sphynx. Both super intelligent, both incredibly agile and both extremely determined and over the top inquisitive. They leave my tanks alone. Just stuck very sticky tape (folded it so sticky side was outward) all around the tank for a couple weeks and now they avoid the tanks. Cats, ALL kinds hate their feet touching sticky stuff. The first time they freaked out, then the thinking started. After trying every angle and conteplating new sceams to get at the fish, they finally realized no matter what they did, the tank meant sticky paws! And I mean it! They tried everything! Now they just watch the fish from the couch.
Good luck!

I've got two cats, one is not interested at all the other will sit and watch but have never tried to get in the top. He tends to get more worked up when the corys lay eggs because of the extra movement!

I made a deal with my wife that if I get my tiger fish she gets her cat and I regret that agreement everyday. I find paw prints all over my tanks, fish feeders knocked off tanks and filter media pulled out and chewed. I am beyond sick of it and have been thinking the cat must go, I'll try the tape idea at the very least it should be fun to watch lol.

Hello,

I really want to get a savannah cat. However, because they are a little "smarter" than the average cat, I want to know how everyone has protected their aquariums. I have a canopy on my 220g tank- but two squares cut out the top for extra ventilation. Any suggestions?

My cat loves the aquarium. She thinks it's for her. She is always curious.

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 153
By the way, after reading your post I did a little research on savannah cats, and they are awesome! I kind of want one myself now.

Jlsardina said:
Hello,

OMG I too have just researched savannah cats and I really want one. They are so gorgeous and when the sad time comes that my little ones are too old I will def be considering one!!

only one of our three cats is interested in one of our three tanks and that's because she likes to lay on top of the nice warm dual t5ho fixture

Both of my cats pretty well ignore the fish tank. The only time they go near it is if I'm sitting on the couch looking at it. Then they get between me and the tank. Heaven forbid that I show the fish more attention than the cats!

I have a Bengal cat myself. He consistently jumps 6-7 feet in the air do get onto my TV, dressers, countertops, etc. so the fish tank at 4.5-5 feet was easy for him. I have shooed him off a few times, and used my classic line, "Not for kitties..." I used to wake up, when I had my glass tops, and find wet paw prints dried on the front glass from where he would dip his paws in the water in the back where there was a small opening, and rub it all over the front glass. :banghead:

I never knew how to stop him, but I got to the point that the sound was so ingrained into my mind, that I would actually wake up from sleeping if he jumped up there.

Furthermore, I have since added a screen top and ditched the glass tops altogether and so far, other than having a few actual nightmares of him jumping up, falling through and drowning, I haven't had any issue.

I just hung my Radion on the tank and now I'm waiting to come out and see him using it as a swing! :facepalm:

Good luck to YOU!

I did some research after finding this post, I read they don't like the feel of tinfoil on their feet so I have laid tinfoil on all the tanks the cat likes to visit and so far it's working great.

I have a tiger/tuxedo kitty just under a year. Let me tell you she loves my tanks. Sleeps on them every night and watches them every day. Think up some kind of system to keep it out of the tanks, paws included. She cracks me up! I love to watch her watch them.

I have 3 Cats a Female Calico and Two male "alley" cats....Get a squirt gun or a Spray bottle that shoots water with some pressure. when they get near quick blast.....try not to let them see you do it they need to think it came from the "Tank". If they see you do it then they will wait to jump on the tank when you are not around......Better a little wet now then a lot later...

My 2 cats "Gus" the orange one and "Kitten" the grey one both love my tanks, luckily the tanks are fully covered :)
Gus hasn't been watching the tank for the past few days because she just had 4 little kittens can't wait till there eyes open :)

Attachments

• image-399926227.jpg
    image-399926227.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom