cats and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have seen some people have pics of their cats as well as their tanks.

I was wondering what other people with furry four leggers have to say about keeping fish and and cats.

My cat is just plan strange. I can leave a tuna sandwich out and she will not touch it. She is more interested in getting pet than eating or playing.

I have introduced her my fishies. Have held her up to the tank to look at the fish. She will look at the fin-folk for a minute and then look at me with her "am I supposed to impressed" look.

My cat has never been a jumper, but I have heard of cats trying to jump on the hoods. I have heard of cats opening the lid and going fishing.

Mine are fascinated by them. They'll sit and watch them all day. One tried to jump on a tank while I was test filling it in the yard and fell in, but other than that, they seem to avoid the top. The fish tanks are just kitty tv here. :)

Half the reason I got my first tank was stress relief the other was something for my kitty to watch. Instead she watches me fiddle with the tanks instead of watching the fish!

One of my cats used to jump on the lids and chase the fish around. When it was a kitten it would sleep on top of the HOB filter. The other cats seemed pretty uninterested.

The kitten on the HOB would have made a cute picture.

I think my cat is strange, no interest in fish or cat nip.... Maybe she is a dog trapped in a cat's body.

Hopefully will have my bedroom tank set up soon.... That might make my cat more interested. My futon is facing towards the tv and away from the tanks. But when my cat lays on the bed she usually faces the blank wall where I plan on putting one of the tanks.

my little dog loves to watch the fish... she even barked last night when one of them chased another... i thought that was kind of interesting.

My cats both run away if you try to pet them.. they are not interested in the fish but in climbing on top of the tank and being up high. They have finally given up on playing in the sump on my new tank xD.

Fish VS Cat

Until I got a stand, I had my 55 gallon African tank on the floor. Well, all my cats would stop and look at times, but my one cat loved it. She would lay by it for hours. Now, there is a reason why she would lay there, it was to tease my male Red Zebra! Every time she laid there he would charge her, puff up, etc. Very funny! :D He never did that to any of the other cats, only her, and she would look to see where he was before she laid down, always close to him, no matter which side of the tank he was on! I got a some pics of him attacking her one day. This kitty will also drink the water out of a tank that she can get to (a tank on my dresser, etc) so I have to cover all openings. So funny to be looking in a tank and seeing a tongue by the filter outtake waterfall! I could just imagine a fish biting her :lol::cat:
Cat VS Fish:
img_1018230_0_b9b19fe3cc3ee2f87511faee8b26c88a.jpg

img_1018230_1_ffaee95b6407312fe9fac82c90604197.jpg

My cat is so kittish I could see her runnign away any time a fish swims by :)

fies010.gif
JP!
My other cats will run up to a tank and bat at a fish or two for a second than run away when they are really full of it! They especially like the small ones.
:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

Until I got a stand, I had my 55 gallon African tank on the floor. Well, all my cats would stop and look at times, but my one cat loved it. She would lay by it for hours. Now, there is a reason why she would lay there, it was to tease my male Red Zebra! Every time she laid there he would charge her, puff up, etc. Very funny! :D He never did that to any of the other cats, only her, and she would look to see where he was before she laid down, always close to him, no matter which side of the tank he was on! I got a some pics of him attacking her one day. This kitty will also drink the water out of a tank that she can get to (a tank on my dresser, etc) so I have to cover all openings. So funny to be looking in a tank and seeing a tongue by the filter outtake waterfall! I could just imagine a fish biting her :lol::cat:
Cat VS Fish:
img_1018608_0_b9b19fe3cc3ee2f87511faee8b26c88a.jpg

img_1018608_1_ffaee95b6407312fe9fac82c90604197.jpg

Aw that's a cute pic. You mentioned that you could imagine if a fish bit her. I used to have a male Jaguar (managuense) cichlid about 14 inches long that we had in a bucket for moving. I had the bucket on the floor while waiting for his tank to filter a bit before adding him to it. A dog I had back then decided he was thirsty, next thing I heard a yelp. The Jag had bitten the dog's tongue! When I looked in the bucket the Jag was looking back at me all puffed out. He was a mean old fish, but so much personality. *lol*

lets see if I can do this or have to upload the pics to my web page then link them.

I wasn't even paying attention when I got my marble angels.... You know how they most people look like their pets? Well two of my fish look like my cat *lol*.

ember.jpg

angels%202.jpg

Very good one Roka "groan!"

That is waaay too funny Dragon!! I wish one would bite her so she would stop doing it! Makes the water level go down faster than it should!

My two ignore the tank except durng the weekly maintenance. Then they're all around me and climbing inside the buckets.

However I did come home one afternoon to find the glass lid broken into a few peices and a cat with a wet booty.

oh man, but a cat is smart enough to know not to try jumping on the tank again :)

Forget if a girl at work was saying it was her dog or a friend's dog, the fish would follow the dog as it passed by the tank.

Back
Top Bottom