Caught stealing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefer James

Aquarium Advice Freak
After I checked out a lady for 2x Red Fire Fish and 1 Blue Spotted Puffer and she had walked out I noticed there was a big water puddle on our floor. I was like [moderator edit] I haven't had my hand in over there. So I ran over to look and I noticed there was a $500 multi-head golden torch missing! I ran out to her car that was pulling out and was banging on her car window! I said give me back the effing coral do you want to go to jail. I have your plate number. I kept raising my voice and she was like what coral and her legs were just shaking non step. I was like give me your [moderator edit] bag or your going to jail and she gave me the coral and I ran in put the coral in the tank and called the sheriff.

I confirmed her identity (They looked her up via her license plate number) and it matched the video..

She should of just stuck with the $50 worth of fish instead of now being charge with grand-theft..

She also has stole from us before. We have had corals missing from the top of their PVP mounts and we remember she was the only one in-between us noticing it there and gone.

That leather was over $250.

She also took over $500 today in 5 chalice and zoanthid frags but I didn't know they were gone. When I went out to the car I only knew the torch was gone. The frags have been recovered from her tank.. But wow people are just stupid...

Well thats my excitement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to ask how she did it? Did she just shove them in her purse? Wow.... The levels people sink to. I know first hand how addictive this hobby is. And i gott say.... But its never made me act like a crackhead. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I kinda want to know how she did it as well. Did she just bag it herself? It's a coral it needs to stay submerged?

Caleb

I was hoping she had a container or something in the car for it with her tank water but even when she was in reverse the torch was just sitting inside of her purse, out of water. Just disgusting. I'm glad I recognized the pool of water.

When the sheriff pulled up her picture for me to identify it was this hideous mugshot of her.

She was wearing like really nice clothes too but left in a late 90s SUV... Thinking kleptomaniac for sure...

My LFS was actually robbed last year and they took $1000s of dollars worth of corals. It amazes me the level that people will stoop to over something so weird! :lol: I mean who does that!

My LFS was actually robbed last year and they took $1000s of dollars worth of corals. It amazes me the level that people will stoop to over something so weird! :lol: I mean who does that!

Well if you think about it... Only one LFS(non chain) in my area actually has functioning security cameras. Corals are worth a pretty penny. Honestly it looks much easier than trying to rob a bank or a convenience store.

Caleb

Well if you think about it... Only one LFS(non chain) in my area actually has functioning security cameras. Corals are worth a pretty penny. Honestly it looks much easier than trying to rob a bank or a convenience store.

Caleb

Yeah, my LFS had a really old security system that I don't believe was functioning and was just for deterrent. After that incident they updated their security system. :lol:

Caleb

Someone has thought about this a lil bit, huh? Lol.... I hope you know im just kidding. But seriously.... Dont put these thoughts in our heads.... ROFL

Someone has thought about this a lil bit, huh? Lol.... I hope you know im just kidding. But seriously.... Dont put these thoughts in our heads.... ROFL

Lol maybe I can finally get those nice corals I can't afford :D just kidding.

Caleb

Sadly, I have also had people steal fish. We caught one guy with bags of water in his trench coat. Another had taken a clown trigger which, unfortunately, didn't bite him in his leg before we caught him. Another got caught when the green bird wrasse, he stuck in a bag in his pants, jumped out at the register. People will do all kinds of crazy things and I can only imagine, with the prices of today's stock, it has only gotten worse. :( It's a sad state of affairs. :( :(

I just cant believe this is really a thing. My goodness.... People really do this. How do they access these fish without anyone noticeing when they are doing it.

Good thing you're so observant! And way to go chasing her down!! I'm glad she didn't get away with it. What a dummy.

Good thing you're so observant! And way to go chasing her down!! I'm glad she didn't get away with it. What a dummy.

Agreed. But if you knew she had stolen before, why was she allowed back in?

That is truly disgusting. I'm not a fan of anyone stealing, I can see one doing it out of a need such as food, clothing, ect. But stealing out of want is crazy! Geez, have some self respect.

Agreed. But if you knew she had stolen before, why was she allowed back in?

So we set up the camera system after the first incident because my boss was getting paranoid. We both knew she was the only one in between us seeing the coral and me leaving but there was no proof and we just couldn't imagine someone putting it in their bag. We didn't want to believe she stole.

This was just the final proof... We think the times before she was just taking small zoo frags. This time I had just finished re-organizing most of the corals so pretty much every frag rack had 5x5 displays so it would of been obvious if she yanked one. And she did and it was obvious haha.

You're right though, we should of just knew it was her and handled it then.

Back
Top Bottom