Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coursair

Aquarium Advice Addict
What the heck is with this constant search for a single Centerpiece Fish ???!!!!

Most smaller peaceful fish need to be in groups. Most singular fish are aggressive or not suited to all tanks.

I think this is just silly. My "Centerpiece " is a group of happy healthy fish and a nice 'scape to look at. I think it's a dumb concept. I use the term "focal point" instead. My main focus in one tank was my Shrimp. So I designed the tank around them. I picked tankmates that are compatible.

I used to have a large group of Neons. 35 in a 55g. They were my WOW factor. Not a single fish.

Some tanks can have a single spectacular specimen, many cannot. We aren't designing a livingroom here ! but a habitat for live fish.

I'm so over this constant talk of Centerpiece fish.
My Crytocoryne wendtii Mi Oya is my only centerpiece and it's a plant :p

*off my soapbox*

I like this. :)
I don't either. I built my 30 "around" my cories.

I think it is more effective to aquascape so that your fish are happy and mobile than to add a bigger fish because the rest are hard to see.

After some experimenting, I finally have REALLY happy cories.

However, it IS really fun when my Bolivian Ram suddenly fills the viewing area.

Now that I have done it right, I cannot imagine anything lovelier.

I agree as well, for a while there I was trying to find a centerpiece fish but realized that when I added things such as sand, driftwood, plants, etc. the color of my fish seemed brighter. It seemed more natural and I couldn't be happier :)

My centerpiece is just whatever fish I choose to start the tank for. I plan around them. No need for the term "centerpiece".... We're talking about live fish not dining tables....

I think you may be implying something on the term 'centerpiece' that isn't there. It's true that fish aren't furniture, but they are treated that way in a display setting. Otherwise if we really wanted to give them a 'natural' habitat it would be far less pretty for us to look at.

A "centerpiece" is whatever the owner of the tank want's it to be regardless, of what anyone thinks is "proper" or "humane" or "correct". It's a common term used for simplicity to convey a point that will be understood by the persons asked. No need to let convenient colloquialisms get your knickers in a twist.

There seems to be a common delusion of absolute correctness, often perpetrated mainly out of ignorance and heresay, running rampant in the aquarial community at large.

I don't think an arbitrary definition means anything to the people who keep the fish. I can understand what you are saying about people trying to get one of something, even at the expense of the fish. I am just saying I don't think the term is the issue. Plenty of people keep incomplete schools without calling it anything. I could call my fish chairs, but it wouldn't change how I feel about them or care for them, it's just a description IMO.

MrPillow said:
A "centerpiece" is whatever the owner of the tank want's it to be regardless, of what anyone thinks is "proper" or "humane" or "correct". It's a common term used for simplicity to convey a point that will be understood by the persons asked. No need to let convenient colloquialisms get your knickers in a twist.

There seems to be a common delusion of absolute correctness, often perpetrated mainly out of ignorance and heresay, running rampant in the aquarial community at large.

I think I was misunderstood. In my earlier days, I did not realize that I could see my fish all the time if I changed the aqua scape.
Having tried to absorb everything... I was still off. :)
I thought it would be neat to add a centerpiece fish - interpreting that as a lower-bio load addition than say, a whole school, that would add some viewing pleasure!
Now that I have practiced the fish keeping itself so long, I prefer to let my betta be solo, and my schools housed more naturally.
So for me, it was the evolution of understanding that changed my perspective.
Now I understand that the "heart" of the tank can take many forms. And I am happier making things better for my fish.

I don't think an arbitrary definition means anything to the people who keep the fish. I can understand what you are saying about people trying to get one of something, even at the expense of the fish. I am just saying I don't think the term is the issue. Plenty of people keep incomplete schools without calling it anything. I could call my fish chairs, but it wouldn't change how I feel about them or care for them, it's just a description IMO.

I agree.

Also, you need at least 6 chairs to a table otherwise they get stressed.

jetajockey said:
I agree.

Also, you need at least 6 chairs to a table otherwise they get stressed.

when you put it like this...
they almost make sense as furniture.
i can see where everyone's coming from.

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly

I've never taken the term centerpiece fish to mean one fish, I always had it defined in my head as whatever fish (singular or plural) that was/were meant to be the main inhabitant(s) of the tank. Mine would be my discus.

When aquascaping plants, on of the most basic techniques is contrasting leaf size and shape. Something with large leaves, such as Staurogyne Repens, can be used to contrast something smaller, like HC. In my opinion, a similar effect can be found with fish stock. While a school of tetras looks nice for sure, a larger fish, such as a gourami or ram, helps break up the monotony of the school. Centerpiece is probably a poor word; focal point is a much better description.

Also,

Most singular fish are aggressive or not suited to all tanks.

That's hardly a useful statement.

i tried making the centerpiece for my 55 my rainbow shark, but then i saw my jewels in breeding colour,and well...

i think a good centerpiece fish is the one who manages to capture your attention the most. thats why my eel is really the current centerpiece for my 55:)

alLexX said:
i tried making the centerpiece for my 55 my rainbow shark, but then i saw my jewels in breeding colour,and well...

i think a good centerpiece fish is the one who manages to capture your attention the most. thats why my eel is really the current centerpiece for my 55:)

I agree. I'll change my statement, my tank was built around my discus and they are the main focal point MOST of the time. But my rope fish do a good job of stealing the show sometimes lol.

aqua_chem said:
When aquascaping plants, on of the most basic techniques is contrasting leaf size and shape. Something with large leaves, such as Staurogyne Repens, can be used to contrast something smaller, like HC. In my opinion, a similar effect can be found with fish stock. While a school of tetras looks nice for sure, a larger fish, such as a gourami or ram, helps break up the monotony of the school. Centerpiece is probably a poor word; focal point is a much better description.

Also,

That's hardly a useful statement.

When many first time Aquarists on AA have a 10g and are talking about a Centerpiece Fish, it makes sense to me. But some people will get my viewpoint, some will not, that will always be the way the planet wobbles.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom