Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Centerpiece Fish

What the heck is with this constant search for a single Centerpiece Fish ???!!!!

Most smaller peaceful fish need to be in groups. Most singular fish are aggressive or not suited to all tanks.

I think this is just silly. My "Centerpiece " is a group of happy healthy fish and a nice 'scape to look at. I think it's a dumb concept. I use the term "focal point" instead. My main focus in one tank was my Shrimp. So I designed the tank around them. I picked tankmates that are compatible.

I used to have a large group of Neons. 35 in a 55g. They were my WOW factor. Not a single fish.

Some tanks can have a single spectacular specimen, many cannot. We aren't designing a livingroom here ! but a habitat for live fish.

I'm so over this constant talk of Centerpiece fish.
My Crytocoryne wendtii Mi Oya is my only centerpiece and it's a plant :P

*off my soapbox*

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like this.
I don't either. I built my 30 "around" my cories.

I think it is more effective to aquascape so that your fish are happy and mobile than to add a bigger fish because the rest are hard to see.

After some experimenting, I finally have REALLY happy cories.

However, it IS really fun when my Bolivian Ram suddenly fills the viewing area.

Now that I have done it right, I cannot imagine anything lovelier.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree as well, for a while there I was trying to find a centerpiece fish but realized that when I added things such as sand, driftwood, plants, etc. the color of my fish seemed brighter. It seemed more natural and I couldn't be happier
Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My center piece fish are my 2 plecos. A Gold Nugget and a Snowball.

Everything else is secondary Ironically you don't see my centerpiece fish much but, when you do, it's worth the wait.

Your tank cannot be complete without a pleco. It's IMPOSSIBLE.
Scott F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

My centerpiece is just whatever fish I choose to start the tank for. I plan around them. No need for the term "centerpiece".... We're talking about live fish not dining tables....

Happy Fishkeeping

xx wryly
wryly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
come get me tang police!

I think you may be implying something on the term 'centerpiece' that isn't there. It's true that fish aren't furniture, but they are treated that way in a display setting. Otherwise if we really wanted to give them a 'natural' habitat it would be far less pretty for us to look at.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

A "centerpiece" is whatever the owner of the tank want's it to be regardless, of what anyone thinks is "proper" or "humane" or "correct". It's a common term used for simplicity to convey a point that will be understood by the persons asked. No need to let convenient colloquialisms get your knickers in a twist.

There seems to be a common delusion of absolute correctness, often perpetrated mainly out of ignorance and heresay, running rampant in the aquarial community at large.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I don't think an arbitrary definition means anything to the people who keep the fish. I can understand what you are saying about people trying to get one of something, even at the expense of the fish. I am just saying I don't think the term is the issue. Plenty of people keep incomplete schools without calling it anything. I could call my fish chairs, but it wouldn't change how I feel about them or care for them, it's just a description IMO.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow
A "centerpiece" is whatever the owner of the tank want's it to be regardless, of what anyone thinks is "proper" or "humane" or "correct". It's a common term used for simplicity to convey a point that will be understood by the persons asked. No need to let convenient colloquialisms get your knickers in a twist.

There seems to be a common delusion of absolute correctness, often perpetrated mainly out of ignorance and heresay, running rampant in the aquarial community at large.
I think I was misunderstood. In my earlier days, I did not realize that I could see my fish all the time if I changed the aqua scape.
Having tried to absorb everything... I was still off.
I thought it would be neat to add a centerpiece fish - interpreting that as a lower-bio load addition than say, a whole school, that would add some viewing pleasure!
Now that I have practiced the fish keeping itself so long, I prefer to let my betta be solo, and my schools housed more naturally.
So for me, it was the evolution of understanding that changed my perspective.
Now I understand that the "heart" of the tank can take many forms. And I am happier making things better for my fish.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
I don't think an arbitrary definition means anything to the people who keep the fish. I can understand what you are saying about people trying to get one of something, even at the expense of the fish. I am just saying I don't think the term is the issue. Plenty of people keep incomplete schools without calling it anything. I could call my fish chairs, but it wouldn't change how I feel about them or care for them, it's just a description IMO.
I agree.

Also, you need at least 6 chairs to a table otherwise they get stressed.

Tags
centerpiece, centerpiece fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com