Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-24-2003, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Cheap clowns

It's so depressing, I saw clownfish at the crappy lfs (I don't know why I keep finding myself there, today I needed an ammonia test kit and the other one didn't have it). They were on sale for $13 each. Now that the nemo thing is winding down all these poor clowns are going to die. Why couldn't Disney have done a movie on freshwater fish? I know, I know, fresh water would make a boring movie . I just wish I had enough money to start a saltwater tank so I could save them...they are really cute.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
I wish I had a saltwater aquarium. Then I'd ged some, but their $25 at my lfs.

Some of my greatest thoughts have ended in a semi-colon.
"Work hard and it might happen."
- XSquared
"Don't be afraid to be paranoid."
- The Mentor
Old 08-24-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ironically, Finding Nemo showed how much fish in their tanks just want to be free. I blmae adults and not so much disney for not figuring out what it takes to keep a fish tank for their kids. And of course all the stupid fish stores that sell Nemo kits. And Tetra for trying to sponge off the movie and saying that saltwater tanks can be set up in a matter of minutes.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
wow... i gotta see that movie because the saltwater tank *I* used to have took me a week to set up
FREE!! 6 freshwater clams & 1 XL mystery snail, NY/NJ area - must pickup by 6/17/05 or they go to the LFS.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
I saw some clowns at Pet Smart for $5.99. Hopefully some of them will make it!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to madasafish
I'd agree with tkos. Finding Nemo was really trying to prevent ppl from cooping up fish. But, well, Pixar shouldn't have hooked up with Disney if they really hoped to communicate a *message* rather than a dollar sign. Props to Pixar, boo to Disney. (Though parents really should take some responsibility!!!)

Still, this haunts me. I love keeping fish in my tanks, but feel guilty for taking away their freedom! I always rationalize it by saying that they're well fed, and have a MUCH greater chance of living when there are no predators around... But it still nags at me.
MTS is a blessing, not a disease.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
i dont think fish even realize their own excitence and therefore i don't think they can appericite freedom. jc
Old 09-01-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
i agree - don't bother anthropomorphizing a human ideal such as "freedom" on a fish.

sure fish try to escape their tanks, but it's not because they are trying to get back to the ocean, it's because they are too stupid to realize there is no water on the other side of the invisible wall.

disney's plug about "all drains lead to the ocean" is a terrible thing to impress on the minds of young people. all drains in a 1st or even 2nd world country lead to a sewage treatment plant, where the nastiest stuff imaginable collects - surely not a safe haven for a fish!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I wouldn't exactly say fish are too stupid to realize that there is no water. But I also don't think that they are on some crazy adventure in search of freedom. Just like any living thing, fish like to roam and are curious. That is why they try and escape. Because if an oppurtunity presents itself, they just want to explore. They just don't know about the immenent death part.
Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
Old 09-29-2003, 09:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you are having a problem with fish jumping out, try moving 1 of 2 items in your tank once a week. If it's adventure they are looking for it gives it to them.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Closed Thread

clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com