Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Checking up on your fish.

Like many of you, I am on vacation visiting the folks. Now, normally I would never be able to relax knowing that my tanks are going unattended, constantly fearing that my lights will stay on or that my fish have suddenly come down with a plague... So I decided to rig something up.

First, aquire a second computer with a webcam. I luckily have a netbook that I use for work.

Second, download skype on two computers and make TWO accounts.

Third, set your home computer's skype settings to automatically pick up and automatically start video chat.

Finally position your camera at a pleasing angle and take off.

It works really well. I've been browsing all week like this. Does anyone else have techniques to put their minds at rest while on vacation?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Wow, that's awesome!!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Whats awesome is that I can check it with my phone's skype too.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That is sick! Totally cool! Last time i went on vacation, i wasnt as into fish keeping and only had a 10g...this was over spring break of last year. All i did was put in some of those pellets that gradually break down for the fish, and didnt loose one.

Now, i have a 40 g and a 30g salt in the making. Funny how much can change in lesd than a year!!! I am not sure how i will keep my fish alive if i leave again! I have a knowledgeable friend though, so ill hire him an hope for the best
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Thats a really cool idea. Last time i went on holidays my brother-in-law was suppose to feed the fish. I came home to a huge mess! It looked like he had forgotten to feed them so just dumped a whole heap in the day before we got home. Never again! I'll get my sister-in-law to do it next time. She's got a brain at least lol.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Um, thanks for the awesome idea!!! I cant wait to try this next time I go on vacay

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com