Cichlids or Freshwater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonestarbandit

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok here's the deal guys I cannot decide whether to go with cichlids or tropical fish like my 46 and 10 gallon. I originally bought this 55 gallon for the purpose of keeping cichlids but I am recalling now that 10 years ago I kept cichlids both African and South American I believe it was and Oscars. And I recall them being very messy and a lot of work so the question is now do a planted tropical 55 or Cichlid 55?? Thoughts? Comments?

Ok here's the deal guys I cannot decide whether to go with cichlids or tropical fish like my 46 and 10 gallon. I originally bought this 55 gallon for the purpose of keeping cichlids but I am recalling now that 10 years ago I kept cichlids both African and South American I believe it was and Oscars. And I recall them being very messy and a lot of work so the question is now do a planted tropical 55 or Cichlid 55?? Thoughts? Comments?

Oscars are messy and a fair amount of work....a 55 gallon really would be the min you could go.

I just set up a 55 gallon African Cichlid Tanks. No plants my guys are diggers...

Mbuna mostly...I also have a Peacock and Frontosa (For the Frontosa get Huge crowd) I have a 75 Gallon in my Garage with his name on it...He is just a baby now no reason to put him in it for a while.

I would decide on one type or the other and not mix due to difference in Water Conditions (Africans require a higher PH and different food requirements)

All depends on what you like...get another 55 gallon and do both:dance:

Oh I couldn't possibly lol. This is an old pier and beam wooden floor rotting farmhouse. I have close to 2000 pounds of fish tank and stands on it already. And I'm not sure it's liking it too much. This is why I passed on a 75 even though it was a killer deal. Weight lol.

Oh I couldn't possibly lol. This is an old pier and beam wooden floor rotting farmhouse. I have close to 2000 pounds of fish tank and stands on it already. And I'm not sure it's liking it too much. This is why I passed on a 75 even though it was a killer deal. Weight lol.

Oh, well structure is important...lol...

I moved most of my tanks to my Basement just to be safe...LOL

Pton46 said:
Oh, well structure is important...lol...

I moved most of my tanks to my Basement just to be safe...LOL

I don't have a basement :( or even for sure structure 0.o

image-1164008501.jpg

There's some really nice tropicals.. but I LOVE the way a cichlid 55 gallon looks. I'd do Cichlid.

There are a lot of smaller cichlids that would be ideal for a 55 gal setup, including dwarf type from South America or West Africa.

Back
Top Bottom