(civilized) Fish Food Debate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i feed omega one flakes, NLS pellets, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and frozen bloodworms once a month, which remind me i need to break some off and defrost them for my tanks!

Interesting to stumble across this. While in Wal-mart today I overheard the following conversation

8 year old boy: Dad can we go look at fish?
Father: Oh yeh sure! The oscar needs more goldfish anyway.

I'm never one to offer unsolicited advice but I was thinking how much healthier an awesome pellet food would be for his fish! In coaxing my new eel to eat I did ply her with my guppy fry until she would eat pellets though ;)

In the same way that I feed my dog a super healthy brand of dog food to ensure she gets everything that she needs I do still give her treats simply because I enjoy seeing her react to something different. :) As fish keepers we can do the same. Give them an awesome stable diet and then occasionally entertain ourselves by feeding something that gets a reaction.

I have yet to try any once live food or live food aside from some freeze dried bloodworms, which quickly got the boot. I think I'm gonna buy some bloodworms tomorrow to try out for my bettas and gourami!

I tried blood worms yesterday; I was really surprised that they were just as warey of them as other fooods at first... although I'm hoping that next time I feed them to them they're gonna go banannas for it. :D

Granted, their frozen so it's not 100% of the experience... but they look great so I should hope it's close enough.

I just defrosted my first cube of bloodworms (what an awful sentence) and my Betta was hesitant to try any. I remembered he has only had pellets up till now so I sliced the worms into quarters and he immediately slurped em down! They were too long to resemble "dinner", but his horizons just grew bigger.

My feeding schedule: (once daily)
(Flake is Wardey advanced nutrition perfect protein)

Monday:frozen mysis
Tuesday: flake
Wednesday: flake
Thursday:flake
Friday: frozen bloodworms
Saturday : flake
Sunday: flake

That's my schedule. Once every other week I feed them Algae wafers that I break into little pieces and a sinking wafer or two (the kind for bottom feeders). I had originally tried to feed the wafers for the snails and shrimp but the fish devour them. Lol!

Last night I cooked peas for dinner. I set about 5 aside before I added any butter or seasonings. I peeled of the shells when they cooled down and gave them to the fish. They loved them. I will be adding this to their diet every now and again.

I have tetras and platies mostly and they seem to really enjoy the variety. The ghost shrimp eat anything I put in there as well. My male red swordtail is looking more red than orange now, so that's great! All of the fishies have bright colors!

(55 gal aquarium, 22 fish)

I feed my platies (so far the only fish in my tank) mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, beefheart, and pellets every other day. I don't feed all those in one day, but I rotate so they get some of everything each week. I'll be adding sinking shrimp pellets when I get cories, flakes, and in the future live brine shrimp.

In my new 20g tank, for my future stock I plan on feeding the same stuff except no shrimp pellets but I'll be adding algae wafers instead.

I came across this old video tonight and thought I'd share it.

Sheepshead - YouTube

My sheepsheads are the same way. They even steal food from the knight and dragon gobies.

All my guys get homemade fish food as their main diet, same recipe for all except the africans, theirs is minus beefheart. They also get seaweed sheets. Everyone gets fresh veggies, frozen foods, shrimp pellets and NLS formulas as supplemental feedings.

If I'm feeling nice (ahem) I rinse some frozen shrimp if we have it and chop it up.

Flake or pellet/sticks as the base diet for all my fish; API, Omega One or Wardley's brands. Veggie/spirulina-based for herbivores, basic flakes or pellets for everything else. Tetra Jumbomin for the big fish, 'cuz that's the only prepared food the oscars will eat (long story!) and it's impossible to keep the RD, redhead black belt and other fish in there from eatin' it once it's in the tank.

Coupla times a week, I mix it up. Blanched veggies (squash, cukes, peas mainly) for the herbivores, frozen mysis, frozen blood worms, a variety of freeze-dried foods, frozen shrimp, etc. The oscars love blanched squash!

WYite

I try and feed a varied diet. The puffers get frozen shrimp, clams, or mussels most days, frozen bloodworms some days, and live snails once a week with two fasting days each week. They get freeze dried shrimp as "treats" on occasion. My marbled crayfish gets hikari crab cuisine as a staple with occasional frozen bloodworms as a treat. Sometimes to switch things up I'll give her a shrimp pellet instead of the crab cuisine, and I drop in a little zucchini or cucumber or a small chunk of the seafood I'm feeding the puffers that night at least once a week. The freshwater fish get a staple of shrimp pellets, omega one flakes, and omega one pellets, with frozen bloodworms and fresh zucchini or cucumber about twice a week. I buy most of the seafood I feed at the grocery store instead of the LFS to save some money, and I slice and freeze zucchini and cucumber to keep it around and easy to feed. I also drop in algae wafers for my bottom feeders from time to time. Every once in a whiles hatch baby brine shrimp as an extra treat. And if it seems like I spoil my fish, before I had to rehome my cat I was weaning her onto a raw diet, and when I had rabbits they ate mostly fresh veggies. My pets eat just as well as I do.

I feed a combo of flakes,shrimp pellets, and algae wafers. I think it's ironic that my ghost shrimp go after the shrimp pellets.

Back
Top Bottom